Arbicola Plant - Sticky and Scaly Leaves

The leaves on my Arbacola Plant have gotten sticky and there is some kind of scaly substance on them. Can anyone tell me what to do to get rid of this?? Or do I need to throw the plant out??

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, cause this is a really big plant.

Susan from Virginia

Sticky substance on plants is usually caused by aphids. If you blow on them you'll usually see them move. A natural remedy would be to use ladybugs that you can find at a local gardening center. Or else there are many insecticides available for aphids. Also watch out for ants, since ants often provide protection to aphids in exchange for the honeydew (sweet, sticky substance) produced by the aphids.

susan, i am from florida and i came to michigan to visit family and my cousin has a problem with her arbicola too. if you take a light solution of dawn soap and water you should be able to rid the plant of bugs as i do believe it is bugs. or you can use a solution of the hottest peppers you can find and stem them then chop them up and boil them and put the peppers in water. this natural mixture will keep insects and bunnies and everything else that will try to eat your arbicola. on another note, if you water the plant too much it will die. if it is really big like you say take the plant out of the pot and trim some of the excess roots off the plant and replant it in different soil and add some worms. they help move the soil around and add nutrients which will make your plant stronger in the future. good luck!

I have Arbicola in my yard that is trimmed by the landscaper. Since the last trimming, the stalks that were trimmed have sprouted with numerous small irregular leaves. In my previous home I have always hand trimmed, not with a trimmer.

I have it too on the same plant and it's not aphids. I know aphids :) Soap does not work. The stickiness is heavy and then leaves just fall off. It keeps growing news leaves so it's not dead but it's in real trouble and very, very sticky.

Editor's Note: It sounds like it could be spider mites. They leave a sticky white substance on the leaves. If it is, take a q-tip and dip it in isopropol alcohol and remove it with that. If they are really big leaves you might want to use a paper towel. Make sure you get the places where the new leaves will grow. Make sure also that the plant isn't near others or they will get them, too.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsApril 27, 2005
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Potted Plants
Leaves on Potted Plants Turning Yellow
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 6:33:01 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.