Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Shampoo for Ring Around the Collar

Got ring around the collar? I've found that since the stain is basically caused by the same body oils that make our hair greasy, why not use shampoo to clean that greasy stain on our collars? I keep a cheap brand of shampoo over my washer, and pre-treat the collar ring with it. Does a great job! Small sample bottles or ones that have accumulated from many hotel visits are also a good source for the shampoo.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Lisa05/30/2010

Hello,
I would agree with you. I often use shampoo to hand wash my delicates. I find that it works really well and also imparts a nice fragrance.

By Melissa05/29/2010

Since shampoo is designed to clean body oil I use it for lots of things. I first add my shampoo to a big pump bottle and add the same amount of shampoo and water. I use this as a body wash, to wash my hard and my bathtub and basin cleanup. I've even used it to mop the bathroom floor. Great for ring around the collar as you said. Between Dawn blue and shampoo you can treat almost all laundry problems unless then need to be bleached.

By Chris Richman [9]05/09/2009

Thanks for the tip! My husbands work shirts get a horrible ring and nothing has worked on them. I'm going to try this today!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Shampoo for Ring Around the Collar

The easiest way to get rid of ring around the collar is to use shampoo. Just use a small paintbrush and paint it on the stains before washing.

By Dee