Move Cool Air In and Warm Air Out

Another cooling tip - try to be aware of the direction of the ventilation where you are - and if it is, say, for example cool outside, but still warm inside, direct the cool air in (and the warm air out) rather than just moving around the warm air inside!

Sounds obvious, but a couple of times I have re-arranged the standing fans at church to really cool us off by bringing in fresh outside air!

I also have an updraft in the hall of my apartment building, so I keep my door open, with screening in front of it, to make use of that source of ventilation.

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

We live with no AC in a pretty warm stretch of Northern CA and our bedrooms are all upstairs. Last year I read to place the fan blowing OUTSIDE when it was hotter inside than out to get the warm air out, then flip it around. I was AMAZED at the change in how cool our room was, sleepable!!!! My husband swore it wouldn't work, but I went out and bought a new fan this year (last years was old and clanky) and it's been great. He still likes to keep the screen door closed at night for some reason (we comprimise and it leave it open a foot or so {more if I can open it when he is asleep!}) and the fan on, but now the fan isn't just moving hot air around, it's cool!