Storing Garlic

How do you store garlic?

Bill from Orlando

My supermarket had trays in the produce section yesterday with about 50 peeled garlic cloves for $1.25 . I bought one and now I don't know what to do to keep them. Any suggestions?

GraNita

I have a pottery garlic keeper. It has a lid but then on one side it has some air holes. Garlic stays fresh in there a long time; however eventually if not used, it will totally dry out. I find buying just 1-2 fresh garlic bulbs at a time is more than sufficient for my family. I have seen the garlic in the jar that looks like a good idea....you keep in the frig and just spoon out how much you need. i've even seen Rachel Ray on foodnetwork using it!

For peeled garlic, I would say you would have to cook it pretty quick. with the peel off it will lose moisture rather quickly. If It still has the skin on you can store it at room temperature just about anywhere. They sell earthen garlic pots (liek the one below) for storing garlic in and they help keep it fresh longer.

I peel the garlic and put the cloves (separated) in a jar and cover with oil. (Olive oil if I have it) As I use the cloves I top the jar up with oil - this serves two purposes - a ready supply of "fresh" garlic and garlic oil for use as required. Marinades, dressings, basting, etc.

Editor's Notes: We've had posts about this being dangerous. You can grow botulism in your oil. It would probably be fine for a day or two, refrigerated but longer than that you risk food poisoning.

Plant a few cloves outside. If all else fails, at least you'll have some to use later.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to use their food saver to prolong the storage life (seal and refrigerate) of garlic? I just thought of it and wondered if it might work...

If we give chemical treatment to peeled garlic, is there any effect to the garlic?