Store Water for Possible Power Outage

If we are having threats of power loss, I place bottles of water in my freezer. I use 2 liter soda bottles, laundry detergent bottles, or any bottle that has a tight sealing cap. This keeps the items frozen for quite some time. My local weather is calling for 50-60 mph winds this week and power loss has occurred since last weekend. I have a well, so that means I don't have water during a power loss either.

I fill up anything I can find with water to use for drinking, teeth brushing, flushing the toilet, water for my dogs, cooking, or any need for water. Fill your bath tub up with water. You can use this water for watering plants and flushing the toilet. You never know when the power may go out so I like to be ready in any way possible.

By triciaminter from Ridgeway, VA

If the power does not go out, you can pour the water into the washing machine next time you do a load. I fill jugs with water and put them in the laundry room. Most of the time, we do not lose electricity but like you, I like to be prepared.

We have milk jugs of water (about four) sitting behind our sofa; a 5-gallon bucket of water sitting in the tub/shower (that way we can still shower); another 5-gal bucket of water on the front porch (frozen); and 3-gal bucket next to the wood stove.

They stay there all winter. We periodically empty the water in the jugs into the bucket by the wood stove, as our cats love to drink from the bucket! Go figure, even tho they have their own water dispenser, they love the bucket. It's what they do during the summer, outside.

Power Outage Supplies
Preparing for a Power Outage
Home and Garden Emergency PreparationMarch 1, 2010
Open chest freezer
Cleaning a Freezer After a Power Outage
Power Outage Safety Plan for People on Oxygen
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out
🎄