Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

How do I keep raccoons away from my fish pond?

By Sandy from St. Louis, MO

May 8, 2010 Flag

By reptoid55 from UT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 16, 2009 Flag

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond
I have a 2x1/2 ft deep pond in my backyard and am looking for some ideas to keep the raccoons from eating my fish. I would prefer not to put an electric wire surrounding the pond. Can anyone suggest another method?

Thanks,
Bev. from Langley, BC

Answers:

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

http://www.hometips.com/install/landscape_hardscape/fishpond_predatorprotection.html (06/19/2007)

By LMcCay420

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

We have a neighbor who put wire mesh over his pond, with a steel support. It seems to keep his dogs out, who like to feast on the fish as well. No raccoon problems. Our ponds are deeper than 1/2 foot about 2 ft deep, and have plants in them to hide the fish. (06/20/2007)

By Susan from Hamilton

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

Cut a piece of rigid wire netting, like chicken wire, to the shape of the pool and put it just under the surface of the water. You might need some slender rods to support it. Keeps the coons out, no problem to the fish, pretty much invisible, and very handy to lift leaves out every day. (06/21/2007)

By Kim Ch

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

Thanks to all for the advise. I think we have some great ideas to work with.

Bev. (06/21/2007)

By Happy Ponder

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

We took some green yard stacks (1/2" thick and 4-6 feet long) then some mesh material and made a cover for our ponds. The stacks were used for rigidity and to lay across the pond resting on each edge. First we used a fish net material then switched to a dark green plastic with 3" open squares. It kept the raccoon and the birds away. Try variations on this theme depending on the size of your ponds. (04/26/2008)

By Cecil Dye

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

I've used fishing line and stakes a couple inches (like a fence) in height around the perimeter of my pond. The raccoons and herons hit as they approach and back away because it's nearly invisible. (08/16/2008)

By matt

Keep Raccoons Out of Your Pond

I lined the top of my fenced yard with carpet tack strip. Raccoons no longer climb it, though cats still will (guess they are light enough not to get stuck), but no raccoons since. (12/21/2008)

By Jonathon

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 19, 2007 Flag

If you have a lot of raccoons or other small furry tailed predators in your neighborhood avoid planting hedges or bushes around the perimeter of your pond. These bushes provide an ideal hiding place for critters that may want to feast on your fish for supper.

Tip By Hope Mason
http://www.lulu.com/spiritbooks

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Ponds and Rockery Pond TipsMay 8, 2010
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Beautiful Swan
Decorating a Pond for a Wedding
🎉
🎄