Stickers Growing in the Grass

Category Weeds
A house with a nice lawn and attractive landscaping.
Depending on the offending plant there are some ways to rid your grass of these painful seed pods. Hand weeding may be your best choice, but herbicides are an option. This is a guide about stickers growing in the grass.

Our back yard is full of those little patches of green stickers. They cover more ground than the grass does. I noticed today they are starting to come up in the front yard in spots too now. What are they called and what can I do to get rid of them? Our dogs don't even want to go back there!

By sissy7575 from AL

No - these stickers are not thistle thorns - they never grow tall - and the thorn or sticker is brown and very small - the sticker looks like a tiny fan shape with the handle of the fan having the pointed shaft. I think this is a southern pest as I live in Alabama and can remember them being in yards when I was barefoot as a kid. The foliage is light green and lacy and low and invasive and takes over bare spots in the yard. What are they and how to get rid of them?

I don't know what they are called but I have them too. I live in Georgia and I remember having them in our yard until our neighbors grass washed into our yard and took over. My mother said it was called St.Augustine grass. Stickers nor weeds will grow in it. It is very thick grass. I am going over to our old home place and dig some up and sprig it in my yard. Hopefully it will eventually cover my yard.

Sounds like goat head weeds we have them in Texas and Oklahoma as well very tough seed that can lie dormant for up to 20 yrs before germinating seed head looks like a well a goat three Sharp points it's a well adapted weed best thing we have found for them is pull them by hand or use a post emergent dicamba works best for us.

I have the same problem. Haven't seen these little devil patches since I was a barefoot child. I started to pull each little plant up by hand but there are really too many. Next step will be to go to Lowe's and see what they have. They are very painful to a bare foot child (or adult) and, I would imagine, to a dog or other pet.