Making Pizza Dough

Looking for how to make the best pizza dough?

By funnyelena from Canada

I use a regular yeast dinner roll recipe. Sometimes use a little milk as part of the liquid.

But the best pizza dough I ever made was made with wheat germ added (1/4 cup substituted for flour in a basic bread dough recipe, which is the same as the rolls, just the shaping is different). I understand it's pretty common to use a little wheat germ in Italian baked goods. It's a tiny bit sweet and adds just a smidge of flavor.

I use a basic white bread recipe and double the oil. I also use olive oil instead of whatever shortening or oil is called for.

You can also brush the outer crust with a little butter or egg wash and sprinkle with a little garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Excellent!

Check out this cool site...

My favorite is S'KAT'S EASY PIZZA DOUGH from Recipezaar #16331. It's so easy and tastes more like the pizza places than a lot of the doughs. It makes two large pizzas and it works fine if you want to half it, which I do if making a breakfast pizza.

I use the frozen bread loaves-either white or wheat to make a deep dish with a medium-thick crust. The size is about equivalent to Godfather's largest pizza-maybe just a little less.

Microwave 2 frozen loaf doughs for a minute at a time on defrost until it's thawed--turn often. Allow to come to room temp. or it will be hard to handle. Cut 1 loaf in half & knead together with the 1 full dough. If you want, you can use both doughs for an extra thick crust--but I usually roll out the half-dough to make an individual small pizza for the freezer. I use a 13"X17" restaurant-style cookie sheet with sides-called a half-sheet. I oil it with extra virgin olive oil, then sprinkle just a little garlic powder on it. Roll out the dough just a little bit bigger than your pan using a little flour, stretch & pat in place, if needed. Roll or pinch the edges to form the crust edge & brush the edges with a little more olive oil, if wanted. Fill with your favorite sauce & toppings & bake until crust edges are light brown & the center is set. I usually make a butter/garlic sauce for dipping & I'll brush some of it around the edges when I 1st take the pizza out of the oven. Let it set for about 5 min. before cutting.

You can also be adventurous & use fillings other than Italian. Instead of making pizza, you can pretty much do the same as above except roll out a little thinner & cut the dough into squares to make individual calzones. Make sure & pinch the edges together really well or your filling will end up all over your pan & not inside the crust.

Food and Recipes Recipes PizzaAugust 6, 2009
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
Rollong pin on round of pizza dough.
Biscuit Pizza Dough Recipes
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes