What Can You Do With Leftover Herbs?

I love fresh herbs, garden grown and store bought, but I DO NOT like having to waste what isn't used. So this is what I do after cleaning and separating what is necessary for the recipe.

I empty several of my traditional plastic blue ice trays and fill them with the chopped herbs (one type of herb per tray). I just sort of "smoosh" the herbs into each cube until they are just about 3/4 full. I slowly add water to each cube so that the cubes don't overflow with water and herbs. I then put them uncovered into the freezer. Once frozen, I empty the herb-cubes into freezer bags and label the bags with "Cilantro" or "Parsley", etc.

By Sweet T from Atlanta, GA

I make pesto with this method too only of course I don't add the water. Works great!

July 7, 2010 Flag

I buy herbs at the supermarket that come in bunches like mint, parsley etc. and I end up needing only a little bit of it. What I started doing is chop up the rest and stuff it into ice cube trays and top off with water, covering the cube filled with parsley. Once the cubes freeze up I keep them stored until I need some parsley. Just remember bag and label what herb you're freezing!

Dee

Answers:

What Can You Do With Leftover Herbs?

You can also chop them into small pieces or leave whole and place on a paper plate to dry. Most will dehydrate or dry out in a day or two. Then place in an old spice jar for whenever you need to add to recipes. (12/24/2009)

By kimsukie

Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesJuly 7, 2010
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
🎄