Herbs and SpicesFood Tips

What Can You Do With Leftover Herbs?

I love fresh herbs, garden grown and store bought, but I DO NOT like having to waste what isn't used. So this is what I do after cleaning and separating what is necessary for the recipe.

I empty several of my traditional plastic blue ice trays and fill them with the chopped herbs (one type of herb per tray). I just sort of "smoosh" the herbs into each cube until they are just about 3/4 full. I slowly add water to each cube so that the cubes don't overflow with water and herbs. I then put them uncovered into the freezer. Once frozen, I empty the herb-cubes into freezer bags and label the bags with "Cilantro" or "Parsley", etc.

By Sweet T from Atlanta, GA

I make pesto with this method too only of course I don't add the water. Works great!

July 7, 2010 Flag

I buy herbs at the supermarket that come in bunches like mint, parsley etc. and I end up needing only a little bit of it. What I started doing is chop up the rest and stuff it into ice cube trays and top off with water, covering the cube filled with parsley. Once the cubes freeze up I keep them stored until I need some parsley. Just remember bag and label what herb you're freezing!

Dee

Answers:

What Can You Do With Leftover Herbs?

You can also chop them into small pieces or leave whole and place on a paper plate to dry. Most will dehydrate or dry out in a day or two. Then place in an old spice jar for whenever you need to add to recipes. (12/24/2009)

By kimsukie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes