Use the Sun to Whiten Linens

If you want to use bleach on your laundry, use very little bleach and then hang it outside in the winter sun. The Victorians used this method; in large houses laying out white linen on special "bleaching lawns" on bright winter days.

By Lucy L. from Oxford, England

When I was first married I did that and ended up with holes in the corners of my daughters diapers, because they froze onto the metal clothes lines. After the first couple times of doing that, I had my husband string clothes lines up in the basement, and bought a wood folding clothes rack that I opened up over the floor heat register for some of the things. It just wasn't worth it having the clothes freeze to the clothes lines. Most of the clothes lines several years ago were metal wire. There is an advantage to the metal ones, they won't sag from the weight of the clothes.

How is winter sun better than any other kind of sun? I like the idea of hanging things outside but not everyone lives in a house with a garden. I live in a condo and hanging laundry on decks/balconies is prohibited.

I agree that was common practice, many years ago, in order to bleach clothes. There weren't all the fancy detergents then and they had to make use of what was available.

I hang clothes all year round & am a big fan of it. I wonder why the "winter sun" is best for bleaching? Many times I have come across a mildewed towel & hung it in the sun. Nine times out of 10 the mildew was gone by the time I brought it in. Then i just washed it as normal, no chemicals needed. Thanks for the tip, I love the "old fashioned" ones. :-)

God Bless

Trish in CT

To me, it wouldn't be worth it in the cold.

I get a chuckle thinking of climbing over the 5 feet of snow to the clotheslines! Then drop them into the snirt (snow/dirt). In the middle of a new snow blizzard, supposed to have 15+ inches by tomorrow. This goes all the way across the country to the Atlantic Ocean!

Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsJanuary 15, 2010
Organizing Linens
Organizing Linens
Sun Drying Fruits
Sun Drying Fruits and Vegetables
Embroidered vintage handkerchief.
Uses for Old Linens
white teeth
Homemade Tooth Whitener Recipes