Making a Jacket from Towels

A jacket made from terry cloth can be handy after swimming or bathing. This guide is about making a jacket from towels.

November 16, 2007 Flag

Many years ago when I was a child my grandmother had a jacket that was made from towels. It opened down the front and each side was a towel edge so there was no need to finish them off. I think the collar was pointed in the back. I know she must have had a pattern but I surely can't find one now. Does anybody have one or know where I may be able to locate one? It would be perfect to wear around the house on chilly days.

Judi from Elgin, Oregon

Did you ever find a pattern for this. I have one my mom made for me but would like to make more.

This site has some more pictures of the robe you are referring to. If you click on them it enlarges them. With this and the directions from the other person, I hope you are able to figure out how to make them.

Looking for that same pattern. It was a simple design. My sister was making them for "bed jackets" back when she was a candy striper. It was basic towel cuts with a point in the back - no raw edges.

I have the pattern you are talking about. When I was growing up our neighbor gave my mother the pattern. She made us each one.

March 17, 2013 Flag

Where can I find a pattern to make a jacket from towels? I had one as a teen and I haven't seen patterns around for them. These jackets are very comfortable and I would enjoy having one again.

By mikhan51

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will most likely have to find a pattern that is similar to the jacket you had years ago. If it is terrycloth material that the jacket was made out of, you can find it at a fabric store or if not in season, see if they can order some for you. If you are going to use towels, will need to figure out the yardage for the amount of towels you will need. Good luck with this endeavor.

Crafts Sewing How ToMay 9, 2013
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
Stack of Colorful Towels
Craft Uses for Towels