Burning Off Grass to Make It Greener

My friend's dad just burned the grass in his yard, the front and back. He said that it will make his grass grow back greener? Is that true? I've seen people do this, but never knew why.

By Sis

I never heard of that. I just spoke to my friend the other day about fertilizing our yard (we have a 1/2 acre of turf grass). I ended up telling her that we did this twice a year. She said that every time we cut our grass and the grass goes back on the lawn, we are doing an equivalent to fertilizing.

Hope that helps :) Good luck!

What the burning does is get rid of the dead grass and weeds, with that gone the grass come up sooner and looks greener.

I remember people doing this years ago when we lived in the country. It does create ash to fertilize the soil, and makes turning sod for the first time easier. However, setting a grass burn is illegal where I live now. I would highly recommend checking out your city or county's fire regulations before deciding to do this.

Home and Garden Gardening LawnFebruary 23, 2010
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
Johnson Grass
Getting Rid of Johnson Grass
Green Reader
Being a Greener Reader