Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crafts Using Moss

Does anyone happen to use real moss for crafts? We have tons of oak trees on our property and the moss grows like crazy, as well as moss on rocks. I was just curious if it could be used for anything? Any ideas?

By Jennifer from Oregon

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By redhead9800803/09/2014

I live in WA. state and also have tons of moss (all kinds). So I also make crafts out of it and sell to local shops. My biggest sellers are wind chimes... yes wind chimes. You make them using wooden forms (round, animal shapes, etc.) that you can get at craft stores. Screw 4 small eye hooks for the chains (3 hooks facing up at equal ends 1 in the middle facing down). Cut copper pipe (drilling holes at one end on opposite sides to attach chain). Cover wood with moss and mist until attached then assemble your chain, pipe and clapper.

By Jennifer GROSJACQUES [3]01/15/2010

Oh thanks :) I didn't realize it was something people were after. lol We have so many trees on this property we own it and there are 4 acres of mossy trees. lol I just thought there has to be something to use it for. I love the wreath idea Wow didn't think of that. Is there any certain way you should wash and prepare the moss?

By Ann Winberg [282]01/11/2010

Talk about envious, that would be me. I love working with moss and have to buy mine. If you would be interested in trading or perhaps selling some I would like to see pictures of it. You might have a money maker right in your back yard depending if it is your back yard. I have checked the internet and as long as it is your land you can pick it and sell it. Shipping is not a problem in my state of Nebraska so I could receive it. That is something you would have to check into for other states. California is illegal for shipping into. Flower shops buy moss so that might be an avenue for you also. Again I would be interested into trading particularily I would be very intersted to visit with you.

By Trish [2]01/11/2010

I live on a farm and we have several different types of moss. Most can be used for making beautiful wreaths. I take a straw wreath form and cover it gently with the Spanish Moss. Then I take the "light and airy" moss that grows on trees and start gluing onto the wreath form. Place as close together as possible.

Sometime dampening the moss will make it more workable. When it is covered to my liking I then add cracked hickory nut hulls left by the forest creatures. I add dried berries, a feather ot two. Maybe a dried mushroom. Just whatever strikes my fancy. These will last a very long time and remain in good shape. An occasional misting helps a lot. Good Luck! Makes a great gift that not many people already have.