Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Recipe For Boxed Cake Frosting

Am I the last person who remembers cake mix frosting that came in a box? It tasted so much better than that soft canned stuff they have today (overly sweet and I can't get it to stay on the cake! It always oozes off). I know they don't make the stuff any more but does anyone know how to duplicate the recipe for vanilla or chocolate? The mix also made a great fudge. Does anyone remember how it was done?

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

By

By Grandma Cheryl12/11/2013

Betty Crocker Cookbook Frosting Recipe, it's called: White Mountain Frosting.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 Tablespoons water
2 Egg Whites
1 Teaspoon Vanilla flavoring/extract

Combine Sugar, Corn Syrup and Water, into small saucepan. Cover and heat to a rolling boil, over medium heat. Remove, cover and boil rapidly, without stirring, to 242 degrees on a candy thermometer. As mixture boils, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Pour hot syrup very slowly in a thin stream, into beaten egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form; add vanilla during last minute of beating. Fills and frost Two 8" or 9" round layers one 13"x9" oblong cake.

By Grandma Cheryl12/11/2013

It's called Betty Crocker Fluffy White Frosting. You can find it on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s ... er%20fluffy%20white%20frosting%20mix

By debi855503/11/2013

I wish I could find the box frosting too. Last time I bought it was in the late 70's. My mom use to make it for my b-day, it was not jiffy. I tried the jiffy & it is not it. My mom added boiling water & beat it til it was fluffy and had stiff peaks, it had kind of a marshmallow taste to it. My mom put coconut in it sometimes, she thinks it was b.crocker. It was so yummy. I wish they would make it again.

By Glenda09/23/2009

I think your talking about a frosting called Q-T, but I have no idea who made it please help! if you know. Thanks, Glenda

By Alma (Guest Post)02/11/2009

For those looking for the Betty Crocker Homestyle fluffy white it isn't available in stores I've checked, but, I was able to find it on Amazon.com-it makes the best fluffy seven-minute frosting and it isn't sickeningly sweet. Enjoy!

By D-Mc04/10/2008

I remember the boxed icing and some places still sell it. Bakeries make their icing by mixing powdered sugar with shortening and food color. This makes a nice, stiff frosting.

By jeanette anderson [4]08/22/2007

jiffy still makes boxed frosting mixes i know they are located in my home state and they have a web site i received a free cookbook the other day go to jiffy.com they are located in Chelsa Michigan

By Judy (Guest Post)08/13/2007

I saw BC frosting mix in my grocery this weekend.

By (Guest Post)08/13/2007

I was looking for the BC fluffy white frosting they used to have in the box and they must have discontinued it. I could make a 'seven minute' frosting like my mom used to, but the box mix was so much easier! I'm not a real fan of the canned stuff they make now.

By Ohio Grandma of twins (Guest Post)08/13/2007

Frosting Fudge
1 can frosting
1 jar 18 oz. peanut butter

Mix. Spread in greased 8 x 8 pan. Chill. Cut. Enjoy.

By Judy Harris [28]08/12/2007

Joan, This is my recipe for quick and easy chocolate frosting: 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa(I use 3/4 cup for a darker flavor),1/3 cuo softened butter, 3 to 4 Tbs milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Cut butter into dry ingredients, add liquids and mix until smooth. Add a little more milk if it seems too thick for spreading. My vanilla recipe is much the same;3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup softened butter, 3 Tbs. milk and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix in the same manner as the chocolate frosting. Either recipe will cover a layer cake or a 13'X 9" cake

By (Guest Post)08/10/2007

I make a simple from scratch one, maybe that will help? A box of powdered sugar, a stick of softened butter and any flavoring you might like (dry is preferable otherwise you have to change the amount of butter) And for sour cream frosting I substitute sour cream slowly mix sour cream in until its the right consistancy. An 8oz cream cheese softened can also be subbed for butter. Or go a different way and mix a powder flavoring with whipped topping, spread on and refridgerate. Hope this helps

By Sweet Peaches (Guest Post)08/09/2007

Gosh, I must be behind times because I didn't know Betty Crocker stopped making the powdered frosting. I buy the stuff in the can but add powdered sugar to the creamy Chocolates and it works fine. cold frosting works better anyway.

By Chris [17]08/09/2007

I still buy Jiffy frosting mixes in the box...not sure in your area but I do know they do exist...maybe ask your store to stock them??

`
When making your own frosting, use Crisco instead of margarine...makes it stiffer, less likely to "melt" and doesn't change the flavor.

By Stacey08/09/2007

Chocolate Frosting
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
3 T cocoa powder

Sift and store in plastic bag. To use: Pour mix in bowl. Add 4 T softened butter. Gradually add 2 T hot water or milk while beating on high speed of mixer or by hand. Beat for 1 minute or until smooth. Add a few more drops of water or milk if necessary. Add 1 tsp vanilla and spread onto cake while warm.

For white frosting: Omit cocoa.

By BARBARA. (Guest Post)08/09/2007

my daughter and i add powder sugar to the bought icing. it works really good and is not real sweet.

By Janet45101 (Guest Post)08/09/2007

I think you may be remembering Jiffy products.
They should still be available. Good luck!

By Chris Ellyson [2]08/09/2007

try a google search for frosting recipes and frosting from scratch

also--if it runs, it's usually because the cake is still too warm

Happy cake!