Recipe For Boxed Cake Frosting

Am I the last person who remembers cake mix frosting that came in a box? It tasted so much better than that soft canned stuff they have today (overly sweet and I can't get it to stay on the cake! It always oozes off). I know they don't make the stuff any more but does anyone know how to duplicate the recipe for vanilla or chocolate? The mix also made a great fudge. Does anyone remember how it was done?

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Chris Ellyson 2 82 08/09/2007

try a google search for frosting recipes and frosting from scratch

also--if it runs, it's usually because the cake is still too warm

Happy cake!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Janet45101 (Guest Post) 08/09/2007

I think you may be remembering Jiffy products.
They should still be available. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By BARBARA. (Guest Post) 08/09/2007

my daughter and i add powder sugar to the bought icing. it works really good and is not real sweet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Stacey 2 08/09/2007

Chocolate Frosting
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
3 T cocoa powder

Sift and store in plastic bag. To use: Pour mix in bowl. Add 4 T softened butter. Gradually add 2 T hot water or milk while beating on high speed of mixer or by hand. Beat for 1 minute or until smooth. Add a few more drops of water or milk if necessary. Add 1 tsp vanilla and spread onto cake while warm.

For white frosting: Omit cocoa.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Chris 19 46 08/09/2007

I still buy Jiffy frosting mixes in the box...not sure in your area but I do know they do exist...maybe ask your store to stock them??

When making your own frosting, use Crisco instead of margarine...makes it stiffer, less likely to "melt" and doesn't change the flavor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sweet Peaches (Guest Post) 08/09/2007

Gosh, I must be behind times because I didn't know Betty Crocker stopped making the powdered frosting. I buy the stuff in the can but add powdered sugar to the creamy Chocolates and it works fine. cold frosting works better anyway.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 08/10/2007

I make a simple from scratch one, maybe that will help? A box of powdered sugar, a stick of softened butter and any flavoring you might like (dry is preferable otherwise you have to change the amount of butter) And for sour cream frosting I substitute sour cream slowly mix sour cream in until its the right consistancy. An 8oz cream cheese softened can also be subbed for butter. Or go a different way and mix a powder flavoring with whipped topping, spread on and refridgerate. Hope this helps

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Judy Harris 28 107 08/12/2007

Joan, This is my recipe for quick and easy chocolate frosting: 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa(I use 3/4 cup for a darker flavor),1/3 cuo softened butter, 3 to 4 Tbs milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Cut butter into dry ingredients, add liquids and mix until smooth. Add a little more milk if it seems too thick for spreading. My vanilla recipe is much the same;3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup softened butter, 3 Tbs. milk and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix in the same manner as the chocolate frosting. Either recipe will cover a layer cake or a 13'X 9" cake

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Ohio Grandma of twins (Guest Post) 08/13/2007

Frosting Fudge
1 can frosting
1 jar 18 oz. peanut butter

Mix. Spread in greased 8 x 8 pan. Chill. Cut. Enjoy.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 08/13/2007

I was looking for the BC fluffy white frosting they used to have in the box and they must have discontinued it. I could make a 'seven minute' frosting like my mom used to, but the box mix was so much easier! I'm not a real fan of the canned stuff they make now.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Judy (Guest Post) 08/13/2007

I saw BC frosting mix in my grocery this weekend.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By jeanette anderson 5 11 08/22/2007

jiffy still makes boxed frosting mixes i know they are located in my home state and they have a web site i received a free cookbook the other day go to jiffy.com they are located in Chelsa Michigan

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By D-Mc 04/10/2008

I remember the boxed icing and some places still sell it. Bakeries make their icing by mixing powdered sugar with shortening and food color. This makes a nice, stiff frosting.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Alma (Guest Post) 02/11/2009

For those looking for the Betty Crocker Homestyle fluffy white it isn't available in stores I've checked, but, I was able to find it on Amazon.com-it makes the best fluffy seven-minute frosting and it isn't sickeningly sweet. Enjoy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Glenda 09/23/2009

I think your talking about a frosting called Q-T, but I have no idea who made it please help! if you know. Thanks, Glenda

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By debi8555 03/11/2013

I wish I could find the box frosting too. Last time I bought it was in the late 70's. My mom use to make it for my b-day, it was not jiffy. I tried the jiffy & it is not it. My mom added boiling water & beat it til it was fluffy and had stiff peaks, it had kind of a marshmallow taste to it. My mom put coconut in it sometimes, she thinks it was b.crocker. It was so yummy. I wish they would make it again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Grandma Cheryl 12/11/2013

It's called Betty Crocker Fluffy White Frosting. You can find it on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s ... er%20fluffy%20white%20frosting%20mix

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Grandma Cheryl 2 12/11/2013

Betty Crocker Cookbook Frosting Recipe, it's called: White Mountain Frosting.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 Tablespoons water
2 Egg Whites
1 Teaspoon Vanilla flavoring/extract

Combine Sugar, Corn Syrup and Water, into small saucepan. Cover and heat to a rolling boil, over medium heat. Remove, cover and boil rapidly, without stirring, to 242 degrees on a candy thermometer. As mixture boils, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Pour hot syrup very slowly in a thin stream, into beaten egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form; add vanilla during last minute of beating. Fills and frost Two 8" or 9" round layers one 13"x9" oblong cake.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No