Cake Frosting Recipes

There are many kinds of sweet frostings to make to compliment your cake. This page contains cake frosting recipes.

When I was 13 years old, I learned how to bake a cake. This was the first icing I learned how to make. I enjoyed baking cakes so much that I kept our family supplied with cake. I experienced a real growth spurt that summer. It was not up, it was out.

Yield: This recipe will ice a 2 layer cake

Source: Its an old recipe I have had since the 50's.

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 2 unbeaten egg whites
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 1 tsp vanilla

1. Put all ingredients into top section of a double boiler.
  2. When water in lower section reaches boiling point, place top section into lower section and beat with electric beater approximately 7 minutes or until icing forms a peak.
  3. Remove pan from double boiler and frost your cake.

Am I the last person who remembers cake mix frosting that came in a box? It tasted so much better than that soft canned stuff they have today (overly sweet and I can't get it to stay on the cake! It always oozes off). I know they don't make the stuff any more but does anyone know how to duplicate the recipe for vanilla or chocolate? The mix also made a great fudge. Does anyone remember how it was done?

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

Answers

try a google search for frosting recipes and frosting from scratch

also--if it runs, it's usually because the cake is still too warm

Happy cake!

I think you may be remembering Jiffy products.
They should still be available. Good luck!

my daughter and i add powder sugar to the bought icing. it works really good and is not real sweet.

Chocolate Frosting
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
3 T cocoa powder

Sift and store in plastic bag. To use: Pour mix in bowl. Add 4 T softened butter. Gradually add 2 T hot water or milk while beating on high speed of mixer or by hand. Beat for 1 minute or until smooth. Add a few more drops of water or milk if necessary. Add 1 tsp vanilla and spread onto cake while warm.

For white frosting: Omit cocoa.

I still buy Jiffy frosting mixes in the box...not sure in your area but I do know they do exist...maybe ask your store to stock them??

`
When making your own frosting, use Crisco instead of margarine...makes it stiffer, less likely to "melt" and doesn't change the flavor.

Gosh, I must be behind times because I didn't know Betty Crocker stopped making the powdered frosting. I buy the stuff in the can but add powdered sugar to the creamy Chocolates and it works fine. cold frosting works better anyway.

I make a simple from scratch one, maybe that will help? A box of powdered sugar, a stick of softened butter and any flavoring you might like (dry is preferable otherwise you have to change the amount of butter) And for sour cream frosting I substitute sour cream slowly mix sour cream in until its the right consistancy. An 8oz cream cheese softened can also be subbed for butter. Or go a different way and mix a powder flavoring with whipped topping, spread on and refridgerate. Hope this helps

Joan, This is my recipe for quick and easy chocolate frosting: 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa(I use 3/4 cup for a darker flavor),1/3 cuo softened butter, 3 to 4 Tbs milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Cut butter into dry ingredients, add liquids and mix until smooth. Add a little more milk if it seems too thick for spreading. My vanilla recipe is much the same;3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup softened butter, 3 Tbs. milk and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix in the same manner as the chocolate frosting. Either recipe will cover a layer cake or a 13'X 9" cake

Frosting Fudge
1 can frosting
1 jar 18 oz. peanut butter

Mix. Spread in greased 8 x 8 pan. Chill. Cut. Enjoy.

I was looking for the BC fluffy white frosting they used to have in the box and they must have discontinued it. I could make a 'seven minute' frosting like my mom used to, but the box mix was so much easier! I'm not a real fan of the canned stuff they make now.

I saw BC frosting mix in my grocery this weekend.

jiffy still makes boxed frosting mixes i know they are located in my home state and they have a web site i received a free cookbook the other day go to jiffy.com they are located in Chelsa Michigan

I remember the boxed icing and some places still sell it. Bakeries make their icing by mixing powdered sugar with shortening and food color. This makes a nice, stiff frosting.

For those looking for the Betty Crocker Homestyle fluffy white it isn't available in stores I've checked, but, I was able to find it on Amazon.com-it makes the best fluffy seven-minute frosting and it isn't sickeningly sweet. Enjoy!

I think your talking about a frosting called Q-T, but I have no idea who made it please help! if you know. Thanks, Glenda

I remember an aunt making a wonderful caramel frosting that was cooked and then poured over the cake. It dried smooth and would even crack when you cut through it. Does anyone out there have the recipe?

By kraftykaren from Mobile, AL

Answers

Penuche Icing
Melt 1/2 cup oleo,add 1 cup brown sugar. Boil over low heat 2 minutes stirrring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup milk. Stir until it comes to a boil. Cool to lukewarm
Add 1 3/4 to 2 cups of Powdered sugar. beat until spreading conssistancy. Add hot water if too thick.

Quick Caramel Frosting

1/3 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions:
Melt butter in saucepan; add brown sugar and cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add salt and milk and continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 3 minutes; remove from heat and cool.

Add vanilla; blend well. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and continue beating until mixture is smooth and of spreading consistency.

Frost 13x9-inch cake.

This delicious caramel glaze is the perfect topping for a spice cake,
or use it to finish just about any Bundt cake.

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Stir in sugars.
Cook the butter and sugar mixture, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbly.
Stir in the heavy cream. Bring to a boil. Cook the mixture,
stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Spoon the caramel glaze over a completely cooled cake.

What sort of shortening is used in an icing sugar recipe? This recipe calls for butter plus shortening.

By Patricia

Answers

Vegetable shortening such as Crisco. I've used cheaper off brand vegetable shortenings and haven't noticed any difference.

Vegetable shortening is what my Mother and I always used. Back then, in the 40s and 50s we used a shortening called Spry. I can't remember if it was cheaper than Crisco or not. That is just what my Mother always used. By the time I was baking on my own, Spry was no longer available and I used Crisco for all of the things that called for shortening.

I am making a cake for a baby shower. I am looking for a few whipped cream frosting recipes for the cake. Not butter cream. Thank you,

vmdedolce