White Frosting Recipes

This page contains white frosting recipes. There are a variety of ways to make a white topping for your cake or cupcakes.

When I was growing up I couldn't eat anything made with milk. That included a few of the cake frostings that my Grandmother used to make. Generally people add milk and butter to the powdered sugar to make frosting. My Grandmother had a delicious recipe that didn't use powered sugar or milk.

I was cleaning out a box of her old recipes and I found her Fluffy White Frosting recipe. This is so simple to make and you don't need milk or butter.

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Total Time: 15 Minutes

Yield: 2 Large single layer cakes

Source: My Grandmother's recipe

• 1 egg white
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla

1. In a small sauce pan add the water, sugar, cream of tarter and salt.
  2. Cook on your stove at low heat until the sugar, cream of tarter and salt have dissolved completely. The liquid should be clear when all the ingredients dissolve.
  3. Remove from the stove and sit the pan next to your mixing bowl and mixer.
  4. In a mixing bowl add your egg white.
  5. Start beating your egg white on medium speed until you see the foam start to rise. I normally beat my egg white for 3 to 5 minutes.
  6. Ad

7. Slowly add 1/4 of the liquid to the mixing bowl. Continue mixing the egg white with the liquid until it is well blended.
  8. Add another 1/4 of the liquid to the mixing bowl and continue mixing until the liquid is well blended with the egg white.
  9. Continue to slowly add the rest of the liquid to your egg white.
  10. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is stiff and forms peaks. The frosting will have a glossy look when it's done. Add your vanilla and mix well.
  11. Time to frost your cake.

This makes a silky smooth pure white frosting. Simply replace the butter with white shortening in your favorite vanilla frosting recipe and add clear butter flavoring and clear vanilla.