White Frosting Recipes
This page contains white frosting recipes
. There are a variety of ways to make a white topping for your cake or cupcakes.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
When I was growing up I couldn't eat anything made with milk. That included a few of the cake frostings that my Grandmother used to make. Generally people add milk and butter to the powdered sugar to make frosting. My Grandmother had a delicious recipe that didn't use powered sugar or milk.
I was cleaning out a box of her old recipes and I found her Fluffy White Frosting recipe. This is so simple to make and you don't need milk or butter.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 2 Large single layer cakes
Source: My Grandmother's recipe
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small sauce pan add the water, sugar, cream of tarter and salt.
- Cook on your stove at low heat until the sugar, cream of tarter and salt have dissolved completely. The liquid should be clear when all the ingredients dissolve.
- Remove from the stove and sit the pan next to your mixing bowl and mixer.
- In a mixing bowl add your egg white.
- Start beating your egg white on medium speed until you see the foam start to rise. I normally beat my egg white for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly add 1/4 of the liquid to the mixing bowl. Continue mixing the egg white with the liquid until it is well blended.
- Add another 1/4 of the liquid to the mixing bowl and continue mixing until the liquid is well blended with the egg white.
- Continue to slowly add the rest of the liquid to your egg white.
- Mix on medium speed until the mixture is stiff and forms peaks. The frosting will have a glossy look when it's done. Add your vanilla and mix well.
- Time to frost your cake.
This makes a silky smooth pure white frosting. Simply replace the butter with white shortening in your favorite vanilla frosting recipe and add clear butter flavoring and clear vanilla.