Cigarette Smoke Smell in Upholstery

I bought a love seat from a flea market. It didn't smell all that bad, when I bought it, but now that I have it home it is filled with cigarette smoke. I am asthmatic and it is driving me crazy. It is really a pretty reclining love seat.

Do you think having it steamed cleaned from a professional will get the smell out? It only cost me $75.00. It will coast $97.00 to get it cleaned. Should I just get it out of my house altogether?

Irma Gould from Gravette, AR

I've heard you can sprinkle baking soda on upholstery, let it set overnight and then vacuum in the morning and it should take out the smell. I don't know how well that works and you might have to do it more than once.

You should let it out to air in the sunshine - and then spray with Fabreze - there are also sprays out there that will deal with the odor. If the nicotine has really saturated it - maybe reupholstering is in order -but I would try the other methods first.

You definitely need to have it steam cleaned. As a former smoker, I know that cigarette smoke leaves a layer of tar on everything. Febreze, baking soda and sunshine might help the smell for a little while, but only a thoroughly cleaning will remove that layer of tar.

Yes the baking soda does work. I have used it before trying to get smoke smell out of my furniture. I coated my furniture with baking soda and let it sit for several hours and overnight if possible. Then vacuum baking soda and repeat until smell is gone. There is also a spray you can order online called zero odor I believe it's called, I have heard that it works wonders also, but I have never tried it myself. Good luck with getting the smell out.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureFebruary 24, 2009
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From a Painting
Cigarette Smoke Odors
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a House