Brown Dots on My Car

I have small brown dots on my car. I think it's from the tree I park below. I have tried pure acetone, hand sanitizer, alcohol, and WD-40 but nothing works. I try to scrape it off with a credit card but then I'm left with a white dot. These dots are all over my car. Thank goodness it's blue and not white.

By cbrokenshire from NJ

I don't know of a cheap home remedy type solution, but try to bug and tar remover made for autos, and follow the label directions. I would try it in a shady spot, if you can find one these days!

I know you like to park under a tree, but tree sap drips can lift and remove the paint from your car leaving permanent damage to the finish. If you can't get them off, you might consider parking somewhere else as it will hurt your resale value if you ever decide to sell.

My husband, a car fanatic, said to use car soap and let the water set on the spots a bit to loosen them, especially if they are old spots. And, absolutely do not use the credit card scrape method because that is damaging the finish. He also said that liquid dish soap is a tad abrasive, but ok for the worst spots. And above all, let water soak into the spots first.

I think you might have luck with Mr. Clean bricks-they even have one for cars that are heavy duty. I know that lots of trees weep or drop sap. Pick a leaf and take it to a nursery-maybe if you know what it is, you can find out what to do about it.

Vinegar may will help remove the spots. I used it on the windshield to remove what they say were acid rain. It took several times using a sponge mop, good luck.

What kind of tree is it? If this is a conifer, then a non-abrasive hand cleaner or varsol will work. Should be done in the shade. If it is hardwood, car soap should be fine.

I have these brown dots on my car, as well. However, there is no tree that can be leaving them! Someone told me that it is caterpillar poop, but I don't know if I believe that. My car has so many of these dots. I can pick them off, but it leaves a white dot! I was hoping for an answer as well!

linda, me too. i do not park under a tree; rather my cars sit in an uncovered driveway with no trees in proximity. a friend told me it might be bee waste (waxy)... but i doubt that as i have never seen bees hovering over my cars. i thought it might be bird pee? as i feel relatively confident it is coming from something flying over. but, the spots are small, radius a few milimeters only, and they are brown.

Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideJuly 13, 2009
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
glue dots on strip of release paper
Homemade Glue Dots
🎄