Preparing Planting Beds

When I plan a new garden bed or clean up an existing garden bed in the spring or fall, I pull or hoe to remove weeds then plant my flowers or vegetables, leaving proper spacing between the plants. Next, I lay 6 to 8 sheets of black/white newspaper on top of soil around my flowers as a weed blocker, After laying it, wet the newspaper to keep in place. I lay my mulch of grass clippings or shredded leaves on top of the newspaper, then I lay pinestraw on top for a formal touch. Wet the mulch to keep it in place.

This keeps your garden weed free for a few months and is eye-appealing, plus you are recycling the newspaper (which breaks down into mulch and is beneficial to your soil.)

By Linda from Fort Walton Beach, FL

Don't re-use Bermuda grass! It will take root and is pernicious.

A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 17, 2007
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
sunken garden beds
Sunken Beds for Arid Climates
curved flower beds
Shaping Flower Beds
🎉
🎄