I am hoping someone out there can help me. I am desperate for some good electrical advice. About 2 1/2 months ago my dryer stopped working. I assumed the dryer motor went bad because when you pushed the button for it to start it just hummed at you. After verifying that the belt was still good we disposed of the dryer. I was then given a very old dryer that was said to be good. It did the same thing as my old dryer did so I disposed of that one as well.
I have now just purchased a used dryer and guess what, it also just hums when the button is pushed to start it. I then took this dryer to my mothers house and it works just fine. I have replaced the breaker in the breaker box thinking there was a problem there. I have tested the voltage in the receptacle and everything tests good Any ideas what could be wrong and what I could do to fix it?
I would check the circuit breaker. Believe it or not, they do go bad. You just pop it out and pop a new one in. Cost is minimal!!!
You didn't say if you were using the original "plug in" or Pig tale....The length of wire running from the dryer to the plug.....it could be shorting or not in good condition inside....or even have one "leg" broken.so it is only drawing 110 instead of 220....as could the part it plugs in to....wiring is a tricky subject......someone needs to check it all out with a volt meter....and make sure you have continuity to every part of the wiring......and of course you could of changed from one bad breaker to another bad breaker......You didn't say if any of them EVER worked in your house.....perhaps it is in the 220 wiring outside...does your kitchen range use electricity...or is there any thing else in your home that draws 220...
Sending hugs of understanding for your frustration!
My husband is an electrician, and after reading your problem and the few replies, here's his suggestion. Check the neutral in both the breaker box and the receptacle because the neutral is very important. The control uses 110 (one leg & neutral). The heating element uses 220. Test from one side of the 220 to the neutral - the slant hole to the L shaped hole of the receptacle. Hope this makes sense. I tried to translate from electrican talk. He also recommends a Time Life Book "Fix It Yourself - Major Applicances". It has very basic, but very well written, easy to understand photos, diagrams and instructions.
You could call your local vo-tech school. Sometimes their students will come out and make repairs for low cost as part of class. Also, call your IBEW, electrician's union, and see if they are training any apprentices. They too may do the work cheap as a learning experience.
I have now tried a new wire from the breaker box to the dryer and a new receptacle and that still has not fixed the problem. As stated in the original post a new breaker has already been tried. Voltage has been tested on both the old wire as well as the new wire and that all test out good.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!