Making a Long Bed Skirt

How do I make an extra long bed skirt? I have bed elevators on my bed but don't want them to show.

W from Pasadena, CA

Buy a material that matches your other bed linen. Sew it together to a length of 3 times twice the length and once across your bed. Measure twice down, once across and triple it. Make a pocket at the top and hem to the length you need, At Wal-Mart or other department stores you can get extension rods for regular curtain rods. They are flat and slide into each other. You will need enough to go down both sides and across the bottom. Slide the material on the rods and gather it to ruffle it. Lay the flat rods between your box springs and matress. The rods will keep the material ruffled (you may need to tape the ends to keep the material from siding off). When you decide to change the bed skirt, you can use the material for other things.

how about adding a border to a skirt you already have. it could match in color or contrast the existing skirt.or could be lace, or eyelet

A little off the subject of the bed ruffles, would like to know where you purchased the bed elevators?

I would love to use my bed for under-storage, but it is too low.

I have a california king riser bed, live in Alaska and could not find anything that would work, so I made my own using an already purchased cream colored bedskirt and added the additional inches in a color of fabric that matched my spread. I have used this for several years and will do the same thing when I change my colors. It was fairly easy. I had to cut in slits to go around the legs of my bed. Be sure to use the same weight fabric for both existing skirt and new add on skirt. good luck

This is for Shirley...I bought my bed elevators at

Wal*Mart. I don't remember exactly what they cost

but I know they were reasonable.

Bed elevators can be purchased at for $10.00-$12.00 they call them Sultan legs, calls them bed lifts $9.99-$19.99 and $19.99

I have my twin bed up on cement blocks. What I did was cut an old sheet the size of the box spring plus 1/2" for seams. Then, I measured from the top edge of the box spring (not the mattress) to the floor and cut my skirting fabric that length plus 1" for seams and hem. I cut my fabric 2 1/2 times the length of the side and back of my mattress since my bed is against the wall and I don't need a skirt on the wall or headboard side. Then, I gathered the fabric (a ruffler comes in handy here) and sewed it to the flat piece that goes on the box spring. When finished, you just put it on the box spring, put the mattress back on and it stays put pretty well.

You can just make your own skirt out of your chosen fabric ... (consider using a single bed sheet from the set you use) & attach one side of Velcro to the bed skirt & the other side to the edge of the mattress.

You would only need to attach the Velcro in 4" strips, instead of a long piece ...

Good luck

I need to cut a king size bed skirt and pillow shams to fit a queen size bed

Measuring Elastic
Making a Bedskirt
Crafts SewingSeptember 21, 2006
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
King Size Bed with Dust Ruffle
Making a Bed Skirt for a King Sized Bed
Twin Bed with Dust Ruffle
Making a Bed Skirt for a Twin Size Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper