Making a Queen Size Bed Skirt

Category How To
Making a bed shirt is an option to buying one that is either expensive or does not coordinate with your bed linens. This is a guide about making a queen size bed skirt.

I would like to make my own bedskirt for a Queen-size bed and am looking for a pattern. Can anyone help me?

LParker from Olathe, KS

Answers

Get a queen size fitted sheet (this could be an old one as it won't show) for the base. With it on the foundation/boxspring, get help measuring from one top corner down the side, across the bottom, and up the other side the top of the boxspring for the "ruffle" part. With the material you want to show as a ruffle, you will need the width to be the distance from the top of the foundation/boxspring to the floor - the length of that same ruffle would need to be at least 2 to 2 1/2 times the measurement you got when you measured (depending on how gathered you want it to be when on). Since most materials come in 36" or larger, you can get more than one strip from each yard (with only have a couple of seams that wouldn't show because of the ruffle). That one LONG narrow piece of material will need to be hemmed down the long edges to prevent ravels later.

Have you ever gathered and sewn on a ruffle? If not let me know and I'll try to explain that one lol.

Now, with the fitted sheet on the boxspring, pin and ease the ruffle around the top edge. Remove the whole thing, go to the machine and sew. :-)

Let me know if this isn't understandable, OR if you come up with an easier way - it's nice to have more than one bedskirt for changing with the seasons.