Painting a Brick Fireplace

Has anybody had good success painting an ugly brick fireplace? I still want a rustic look, just not the ugly brick. The house has a lodge feel with lots of tongue and groove wood walls.

By Amy from Oneonta, NY

Best Answer

There's a church in town that was built with used bricks in the 1950s. It is multicolored due to old paint on the brick. It has a bit of cream, black and and rust and it's very pretty and adds character.

If you are intent on changing the brick's facade, have you thought of using a hard resolution sponge

and cut it into large pieces according to how many paint colors you use. Doing the inner brick only, dab the brick using one color and the next brick another color. Ever so often allow the original brick to be bare. Try using the colors already in the room or use earth colors only and don't allow the paint to heavily penetrate into the brick. If you're looking to get a rustic appeal, some of the original brick will need to be seen to obtain this look. Do this in an informal way keeping one color far from the next brick. Also, dab the paint on each brick some areas lighter than another area so it looks natural, but leave about a half inch around each brick the original color. If you don't like it you can always paint it a solid color. This keeps it from being boring, gives character to the original brick and will add charm to a lodge/cabin.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Unless you have your heart set on paint and a particular paint color I personally suggest to use concrete stain because the stain would have a more rustic look and hold up better over time.

Best Answer

I had an ugly fireplace in my family room which stood out like a sore thumb. When I painted the room, I painted the fireplace the same color which helped it "disappear" somewhat. I used the same latex paint that the room was painted and used a paintbrush to get into all the uneven surfaces.

Best Answer

I personally think brick looks best left as it is, but that is just my opinion. It seems to me that if the rest of the house is natural wood, it would be a mistake to paint the fireplace. However, as I said, that is just my personal taste. And I haven't seen your fireplace.