Dog Food Recipes for a Dog with Liver Problems

Does anyone have a recipe for a dog with high liver #'s?

By ocheryll from Loyalhanna, PA

People with liver problems need certain ratios of proteins and vitamins, minerals. I am sure dogs are similar. Be sure to check first with your vet, to make sure they aren't getting too much protein or potassium, or too little either.

Last year my 6 year old female Doberman was diagnosed with Chronic Hepatitis. Aside from the numerous medications she must take daily, she has also been put on Hill's Prescription Diet L/D (liver diet), for the rest of her life. This comes in both cans and dry but can only be purchased through a vet since it is a prescription.

For each meal, I shred skinless/boneless chicken breasts (cooked in the crock pot) and mix this in with the dry/wet L/D. The vet said that was okay as long as the majority of her food was the prescription food. She likes the L/D thank goodness, but I phoned Hill's Science Diet to inquire what else I could add in case she tired of it and they suggested a little oregano on top. In addition, I freeze the little containers of low fat yogurt and give her one each night after her dinner, and she gets a little milk, and other treats.

You have to be careful what you feed, so I would check with your Vet first. Good luck, this can be managed. My other Dobie has a "normal" diet so that was a challenge at first, but I'm used to the routine now :-)

Jennifer, Northern Virginia

August 14, 2009 Flag

I need natural home-cooking recipes for 12 lb. Yorkie with a liver problem.

Gloria from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Answers:

I feed my Cocker home made meals and he loves them. I simmer chicken thighs (save the broth) until tender. Cool the thighs and remove all fat. Chop the meat in the food processor and set aside. Add frozen green beans and fresh carrots also chopped in the processor. Cook brown rice in the chicken stock and add the vegetables and chopped meat.

Form into meal size balls and freeze on a cookie sheet and then bag them in the freezer. Our dog gets a rice ball for breakfast and then natural dog food in the evening. He loves his rice balls. I microwave the rice ball until it's warm and often add a little more broth to it. (10/23/2006)

By Annie

Though I had cats, I always fed them a raw diet and they were never ill or had any problems. Commercial foods cause all the problems. Do a search on BARF if you are interested and you will find recipes. Also, look into www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com. A fantastic alternative site for humans and animals.

Best of luck and blessings to you. (10/23/2006)

By Tone

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs Dog Food RecipesAugust 14, 2009
Chicken Liver
Chicken Liver Recipes
Beef Liver Recipes
Beef Liver Recipes
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Liver and Onions
Slow Cooker Liver and Onions Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 11:54:02 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.