Removing a Tick from a Human

What is the best way to remove a tick from a human?

Mary from Washington, MO

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Just saw this on Oprah, Dr. Oz said to pull the tick straight out with a pair of tweezers. You can leave the head in, the body will work it out. I think he said if you are in a Lyme disease region to then take the tick to your dr. to have it checked. Do not try to burn, smother or drown the tick out, they don't work.

One of my friends sent me an email recently about this very thing. They said to put a glob of liquid soap on a cotton ball, put it on the tick for a few minutes and the tick will come out and be sticking to the soap. You can throw away the whole mess. Unless you need to have it tested. It's supposed to work but thank goodness, I never had the need (knock wood) to test it.

MY GRAND-DAUGHTER HAD A TICK IN HER ARM WE JUST USED ALCOHOL WE DUMP IT ON AND IN ABOUT 2MINS THE TICK JUST BACKS OUT OF THE SKINS. I WOULD SAY THERES NO BETTER WAY.

I have Lyme disease and have become and expert on this terrible disease. It all starts with a tick bite, typically in it's nymph stage, the tick is the size of a period (.) and is skin colored. Once he starts to fill up on your blood, he becomes dark in color and is larger. If you remove a tick improperly and this tick is carrying any of the tick borne illnesses, most notably Lyme disease, then you most likely will contract the disease. Here is a website that tells of the proper way to remove a tick, NEVER use alcohol, soap, a match or anything else, as this may upset the tick and he may expel his toxins into your body!

http://www.lyme.org/ticks/removal.html

The most important part of this tutorial is using a fine nosed tweezers and actually try to get below the bite, this will entail pulling some of your skin with the tick and it will hurt... This is the safest way to prevent tick borne illnesses.

Trust me, you don't want to contract this disease and then be one of the 20% that antibiotics can't help and have to live with this disease. ALWAYS check for ticks every time you bathe and every time you come in from a wooded area... Ticks are everywhere, on all continents, in all countries and in every state in the USA. Most people think ticks are carried only by deer, but all warm blooded mammals including all birds carry them and thus they are widely dispersed.

Currently, 23,000 cases of Lyme are reported to the CDC yearly, but this disease is widely underreported and the true figure is 10 to 100 times this amount, meaning 230,000 to 2.3 million yearly.

This is spoken from a true Lyme warrior,

Jim in Jax

I haven't used this on ticks, but pure glycerin kills any other insect on contact by dehydration; it actually draws all the water out of the insect body (kills all bacteria it contacts the same ways, too.) So I would expect that a drop of pure drugstore Glycerin on a tick would instantly kill it, and probably it would drop out as it would be rather shrunken.

Just to compare with some of the responses above: using soap or alcohol is likely NOT a good idea; even if you get the tick out that way after a minute or two, it may have ejected its salivary gland and/or stomach contents into the skin first -- which is the cause of infection.

Since the glycerin kills INSTANTLY by dehydration, I doubt there could be any such reaction.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Tick Removal
Removing a Tick
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMay 28, 2007
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
dog with fleas
Bio Spot Flea and Tick Reviews
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 5:45:47 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 727 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.