Fried Egg Poppy Success In Mid Atlantic States

I am trying to find out if anyone in the Mid Atlantic States (Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina) has had any success with a "Fried Egg Poppy" plant (matilija poppy or Romneya Coulteri). These grey green plants have large white crepe like flowers with golden yellow centers. The plant grows 3 to 4 ft tall. I am interested in buying a plant but can only find them in CA and wonder if it is worth the expense. Maybe someone knows a closer source.

Sue from Richmond, VA

I tried for years to grow poppies and they never "took". Maybe they just aren't right for this climate and that's why you can't find the plants nearby.

The Fried Egg Poppy sounds like fun! I haven't tried it yet.

I live in Maryland and have had lots of success with Oriental Poppies, which are beautiful. None of the other types have worked.

I have the poppies right behind our house, where they get sun most of the day.

Good luck!

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJuly 20, 2007
Poppy Seed Salad Dressing
Poppy Seed Salad Dressing Recipes
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Poppy Seed Cake Recipes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Atlantic City, New Jersey Frugal Travel Guide
Celandine Poppy
Growing Celandine Poppy (Wood Poppy)