How Do I Know If My Dog Has Fleas?

How do i know if my dog has fleas, and what is the best remedy to get rid of them?

Carole

If your dog scratches or whimpers that may be an indication. I found out my dog had fleas when she kept rubbing against my bed to scratch herself. If your not sure just go to the vet. My dog no longer has fleas, i beleive what got my dog flea-free was a product i'm pretty sure it was frontline or frontline plus.

Roll you dog on her back in aplace with good lite. Separate her fur and you should be able to see the little buggers crawling. Or, put her on a white sheet and comb or brush her. if you see little black flecks on the white sheet, that's flea droppings and yes, she has fleas! I use Advantage only in the summer/spring when fleas abound.

Also you can usually see around the base of the tail, they like to hang out there. If you see a black/dark grey dust, that is flea eggs. I used frontline plus when my dogs had it and it took care of the problem. If you want to also treat the house, dust Borax everwhere, sofa, chairs, dogs bedding {or wash in the washer} leave for 24 hours, then vacuum and discard the bag.

One time I thought my pug had fleas and it wasen't she had bad skin irritation, and hot spots. So if you don't find any fleas you may want to bring your dog to the vet for a checkup.

Best of Luck

Kim

I used to have a problem with fleas on my dogs too.

Then someone suggested and it worked, I now give each of my dogs a 5000mg. capsule of garlic oil each day - no more fleas.

I just found out that you need to use a flea preventive year round and not just around the times of year when it is warm. Fleas will lie dormant until they find a source. They also don't die as easily as most people think. My vet suggested I use a IGR growth regulator spray in each room every two weeks for the next 2 months and then do it monthly until the problem is controlled. Then like always I use frontline plus on my dogs and cats.

I always wondered about the garlic. That's interesting. I might have to try that one.

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo to give my dog an anti-flea bath?

Pets DogsAugust 27, 2005
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄