Use A Band Aid For Straight Seams

This tip is for all sewers! I'm 65 and I learned this from my mother when I was about ten or twelve. Many times it is hard to sew a straight seam because your machine's markings aren't clear or easy to see. I use an ordinary Band-aid along the seam width I need. First, I fold back a small amount of the tape to make it easy to remove. Next I place the Band-aid along the seam allowance starting quite a ways before the machines markings. This helps to align the fabric before it reaches the presser foot. Try it. You'll like it!

By Judy from Birmingham, AL

Great idea - I usually use blue painters tape for the same thing. I do a lot of quilting, and want to keep those seams straight, so I mark the front of my machine with the blue tape. It is really easy to see, and easy to remove when necessary.

Next time I can't find the blue tape, though - I will reach for that box of bandaids!

I don't sew all that much anymore but you got me wondering if the machine marks (on the pressure plate?) could be removed easily (mine could) & remarked with something to make it readable like red nail polish (enough that it could be felt) or red permanent marker ?

just wondering ...

A sewing room garbage can by tying a bag to the table leg.
Sewing Tips and Tricks
Crafts SewingJuly 23, 2007
Sewing with a sewing machine.
Keeping Seams Together When Sewing
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
sewing machine
Sewing Vinyl
Some sewing machine needles on a white background.
Discarding Used Sewing Machine Needles
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 3:10:37 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.