Treating Hyperhidrosis in Children

What is the youngest age you can get hyperhidrosis surgery? My daughter is 10, but her hands and feet has been sweating since she was a baby.

By happypeasinapod from LA

Be sure to talk with her pediatrician about that. They will know more about that. The only other reliable source is if you can find a support group, linked to that conditions organization. For example, search for hyperhidrosis organization.

Best of luck to you and your child!

As a child, my hands and feet sweat excessively. I even had tiny blisters on my hands from the sweat glands backing up. My parents took me to the doctor who just stated the obvious. My hands and feet sweat way too much. Technology has improved to the point that the problem can be corrected surgically. I would recommend against it. In my situation, I outgrew it. By the time I was in my early 20's, it was gone. I would have suffered through a surgery that time corrected. My best to your child.

My daughter suffers with this condition also. She can't wear flip flops, or certain sandals due to her feet sweating and causing her to slip out of the shoes and fall, or twist an ankle. I took her to several physicians and they recommended Sure Dri. It's an over the counter product that will help keep your hands and feet dry. She tried this and hated it! I have the same condition, only in my case, it's my entire body, but especially my upper body.

They can now inject botox into the areas that are a problem. However, this is only a temporary solution and is very painful due to multiple sticks at the injection sites. This has to be repeated every few months or so. Even with the surgery, the sweating will start some place else. Example: If your hands and feet sweat profusely and you stop that, it could start pouring from your face or underarms.

I had the worst sweaty hands & feet growing up. It continued until I had my electrical heart problems corrected. So just make sure no other causes for the excess sweat.

Check on a treatment called "Iontophoresis". My son has suffered w/ sweaty hands & feet since he was a baby. He's now 15. We learned about this treatment from both his rheumatologist & his dermatologist. Unfortunately neither could tell us where to get the treatment since it's not widely used in the US. After research I learned that the insurance company would cover it if we proved we tried the clinical strength antiperspirant, then the Rx Drysol. We just had to find it! After several months, I finally found a connection of iontophoresis being used with arthritis by Physical Therapists. I called a local PT. She'd not heard of it for hyperhidrosis but was willing to try it (after doing her own research of It worked great, but for my son only worked where the patch was placed, not on his entire hands & feet. Once we found it would work, we checked out another version that submerges his hands/feet in water & uses the minerals in the tap water to ward off the sweating. He now only does his treatment about once every couple of weeks (compared to 3x's per week when started).

If determining it works & deciding to purchase a machine, make sure to purchase it from an "approved" company with your insurance company... otherwise they won't help cover the cost (ask me how I It's well worth it & my son now has his life back!

Parenting Grade Schooler HealthAugust 14, 2009
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
Powdery Mildew on Plants
Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew
Sweaty Hand
Remedies for Sweaty Hands
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight