Snakes of Florida

I am terrified of snakes and my brother moved to Dania, Florida on the interior coast. What can I expect to see?

By Shelley from Marblehead, MA

If you go to and type in" types of snakes in Florida" there will be a lot of information, some sites with pics. There are venomous and non veromous snakes in Floridia. One should know the difference.

Thank you for your reply. I did that yesterday and it is so bad I cannot look at snakes in photos. Do you know IF they slither up the wall into yards from the intercoastal in Dania? Are there snakes in the water as well? I read that if you keep lawn cut short and no debris piles it is pretty safe.

Dania is not the wilderness. It is a well established area and the waterways are not seething with snakes. I've visited in and around that area almost every winter for 20 years and I've never seen a snake.

Please don't be afraid of snakes when you visit your brother in Dania. It is very built up and you'll have nothing to worry about. I've lived in FL before, including in the Keys, and the only time I actually saw a snake was when my cat killed the poor thing and brought it home. Remember that snakes are very shy creatures and don't really want to be near people. If you want to be sure to avoid where they might be just stay out of swamps and don't go looking under rocks or in any dark crevices outside (which I'm sure you won't be doing anyway). Also, since it sounds like you might have an actual phobia regarding snakes, it might be worthwhile to talk to your doctor about getting help overcoming it. Just remember that the odds are more likely for someone to be in an auto accident than to be harmed by a snake and enjoy visiting your brother. FL is a beautiful place and I think you'll love it. :-)

Having a fear of anything can be terrifying. If I can share a little story it might help alleviate a teensy bit of the fear. I am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and specialize in raccoons, but I have rehabbed all sort of species over the years. I found an injured snake one year and kept him until the injury healed. When I took him out in the woods for release, I found a nice spot in the underbrush and let him go. I stepped back about 2 feet to watch and he started to move into the bush. He stopped and turned back and came towards me. I stayed still and he went over my shoe twice and then turned the other way and went off into the brush. It was as if he was saying thank you for helping him. Snakes are very shy creatures and with most all wild animals, if you give them a chance to move on they will. As the one person said, just avoid certain areas.

I have a fair size property in an area of rattle snakes and they don't normally hang around where there are people, animals, pavement and concrete. Also, just to be safe, wear shoes outside at night and watch where you step in the daytime. Toes and fingers are usually where a person will get bitten. Consider yourself as safe there as you are walking down a street in town.

Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
Better Living Green Living WildlifeOctober 20, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale Beach in Florida.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Frugal Travel Guide
A Non-Poisonous Garter Snake.
Identifying Non-Poisonous Snakes
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
Little girl giving to Salvation Army.
Florida Christmas Charities