Uses for Chipped China Platters

Does anyone have an idea of how to use old chipped china platters? I have some plain ones and some beautiful ones that I don't dare serve on due to chips and discoloration. Thanks.

Karaof4 from MN

Best Answer

I have a cracked china platter that I placed on a table. On top of the platter I laid a flat antique Victorian doll Christmas ornament; it sets next to a tea set. It is very pretty. I will post a picture when my camera is available.

Best Answer

I just saw the neatest way to utilize broken or cracked plates. I went to a very artsy antique shop in my town that had them set in garden stones. They had put them in the form with cement, and they were so pretty! It happened to be around the 4th of July, and they had used some cracked blue and white and some cracked red and white plates in each stone.

They were so quaint, and I saw several patterns that I recognized.

This might seem extreme to you because they are no longer plates. But I decided to look at the fact that the pattern is being displayed this way, and people will get more enjoyment from them in this form than collecting dust as an old cracked plate.

Best Answer

try making some mosaic items,smash the plates & glue onto table,pot or item of preference(could also make a serving tray).glue with adheasive & grout in between the tiles or pieces of smashed plates,hope this has been some help

Best Answer

I made a gazing ball using a bowling ball, old china and those stones you place in the bottom of a vase

Glue the pieces to the ball. Use grout filler and allow to dry

Just beautiful

I have also covered a wine caddy and a clay pot (rim only) with delightful effects

I even had to purchase some extra pieces (Good will and tiles from Home Depot)

Best Answer

Depending on where the cracks are, they might be used under houseplants. You could put a few plants on the bigger ones.

I saw an artist profiled on Martha Stewart (I think) that uses old china pieces for mosaic artwork. You could "google" that in. It looks wonderful on a table top or a wall hanging.

Here's a picture of my cracked china platter with the Victorian Christmas Doll ornament on it. The table belonged to my Mother; it is a table with harp legs and game table; it opens up and has storage in it. The tea set was a Christmas gift from my family. The book entitled, "Thank-you Mother" belonged to my late mother-in-law.

Thank you so much for the ideas! I think that I'm going to have some fun keeping these around instead of feeling guilty for throwing them in the trash :-)

are you afraid the cracks and discoloration mean the plate is too weak to use or are you just not wanting to use them for food due to the looks?

i'll tell you something my grt grandma once told me.

don't wait for your funeral to pick the flowers, and use your good china.

in other words if you love it use it. all the ideas for mosaic sound nice too if they are beyond help but if they aren't....go for it.

Here is the Martha Stewart article about the mosaic artist that cameo_angels mentioned. I love the picture and am now motivated to turn some of my outdated style crockery into a work of art!!!

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.j ... &contentGroup=TV&site=living

For party favors at a tea party we used tea cups to hold potpourri which can later set on the dresser and look pretty and smell good too! I have also used tea cups for homemade candles.

I have read that using cracked or chipped dishes for food is not a good idea as the cracks and uneven surfaces can hold bacteria .... best to just use them as decorative items rather than take a chance on food poisoning!

At Olive Garden, they have lots of different plates hanging on the walls. Would something like this work in your kitchen or dining room?

You might want to try placing a paper doilly on the plate and using it to hold cookies or a cake, etc. for a gift. That way you get to give an inexpensive gift that looks lovely and you don't have to worry about getting the plate back since it was part of the gift.

Lay Saran Wrap on the platter before placing food on it,that way no food comes in contact with the platter or any bacteria harbored in the cracks. Use the platters under serving bowls, especially bowls with drippy foods like sauces or soups, etc. Use as chargers under clear glass dinner plates. Place several pillar candles to match the design on the platter, along with some flowers or greenery; instant centerpiece!

There are some really good ideas indeed posted here! I have what my husband calls a plate graveyard. When I get a broken plate or cup I throw in a flower bed and bust it up. It looks pretty with all the different designs.

Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 4, 2006
Antique China Cups and Saucers
Uses for Antique China
China tea cup and saucer with floral pattern.
Cleaning Fine China Dishes
China Cup and Saucer
Appraising China
China tea cups
Selling Fine China
🎉
🎄