Pinata Safety Tips

A pinata at a fiesta is great fun, but can be very dangerous if the hitter is still swinging when the pinata is broken and the kids rush in. I organize this activity by instructing the kids that no one can move until I blow a whistle, or yell a word really loud like "ARRIBA" meaning it's safe to run. As a teacher, I once had a child nearly stampeded to death so I now err on the side of caution. It's a good idea to have an extra bag of treats available in case some of the less aggressive kids don't get much.

By Linda from Vista, CA

I KNEW there was something I didn't know about having a Pinata at a party. I'd planned on making one, but years passed by so quickly that I got no further than the huge box of glossy paper newsprint for the papier mache' I planned to use to MAKE ONE for my grandson. Thank you SOOOOO much for the warning. He's a wild stick swinger and so are a lot of his friends. God bless you. : )

You're a smart teacher to watch out for your kids like this. All those videos of pinata-swatting on "America's Funniest Home Videos" aren't really funny.

Good idea!

Maybe the kids can't run to get the treats until the bat swinger has hung his/her swinging bat up 10 metres away or something.

Holidays and Parties Parties Cinco De MayoMay 4, 2007
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Large Homemade Butterfly Pinata
Making a Butterfly Pinata
Making a Piñata, Red and Green Pinata
Making a Piñata
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety
🎄