Getting Rid of Ants on Strawberry Plants

Some insects like your strawberries as much as you do. This guide is about getting rid of ants on strawberry plants.

A strawberry with ants on it.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 12, 2016 Flag

I have two pots on our deck with strawberries planted in them. The ants have taken over the pots. I have used Sevin dust, but they are still there. Is there anything I can put on them that won't kill the berries or me?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This happens to me a lot, with pots on the ground, deck, porch, anywhere. If the pots are not so heavy that they can be lifted, put them in a larger container. The larger container doesn't have to be large enough that you can submerge the strawberry pots in water, though this is quicker. If the larger container will hold a couple inches of water, this is OK. Leave the strawberry pots in the water overnight, allowing the water to wick up to the top of the strawberry pots. The ants will flee, carrying as many eggs with them as they can salvage.

This will not hurt the strawberries, it will be good for them. After you set the pots in the water, water thoroughly from above, as well. This will help the dirt in the pots to settle and fill in pockets made by the ants.

If you have the terra cotta strawberry pots with solid bottoms and holes up the sides, you would probably need to submerge the whole pot.

June 22, 2007 Flag

How do I get rid of ants? I wish to get rid of the ants outside before they find the way inside. I really hate them on my strawberry plants. The plants are right next to the sidewalk and deck and the little fellas/gals are coming closer and closer to the door way.

Please understand I know they need to eat just like us but I work hard on having a few strawberry plants, which are NOT the ever bearing type. With my disabilities I can't stand having them crawl up my leg and I do not feel them until they are just about at my knees. They were all over my Humming bird feeder and I had to move the feeder a few times. The thing about that was I couldn't figure out how they were getting to the feeder in it's first location. There were so many I couldn't even start to count them all.

Do you know if ants have a GOOD purpose? I am just wondering about that. For some reason this year the ants are really bad and we don't seem to have any humming birds at all. There is also the wasp catcher which only catches those hardy little ants.

Thanks for your time!

Lia from Revelstoke, BC Canada

GO to Diatect.com - they have what you need and it is 100 % safe for you and pets. You can read up on it there. Your problem is solved and you can enjoy again. It works inside and out in rain or not ! Take care and BE HAppy.

" Thank you everyone! With all the suggestions I think I have my problem licked. " HappyWonder a.k.a Lia

I have had trouble with my strawberries for the last two years and found it may be because of ants, so I use diacetomous earth and sprinkle it on the plant, it is used for the filters on swimming pools

could find nothing about white flies on my plants but very helpful with ant help.""""

Read More Answers...
    Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 21, 2013
    Getting Rid of Ants
    Getting Rid of Ants
    Ants on a Trumpet Vine
    Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
    Ant on a leaf.
    Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
    Flying ant on a white background.
    Getting Rid of Flying Ants
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 4:09:38 AM on 10.0.2.194 in 431 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.