Keeping Ants Out of Strawberry Pots

I have two pots on our deck with strawberries planted in them. The ants have taken over the pots. I have used Sevin dust, but they are still there. Is there anything I can put on them that won't kill the berries or me?

This happens to me a lot, with pots on the ground, deck, porch, anywhere. If the pots are not so heavy that they can be lifted, put them in a larger container. The larger container doesn't have to be large enough that you can submerge the strawberry pots in water, though this is quicker. If the larger container will hold a couple inches of water, this is OK. Leave the strawberry pots in the water overnight, allowing the water to wick up to the top of the strawberry pots. The ants will flee, carrying as many eggs with them as they can salvage.

This will not hurt the strawberries, it will be good for them. After you set the pots in the water, water thoroughly from above, as well. This will help the dirt in the pots to settle and fill in pockets made by the ants.

If you have the terra cotta strawberry pots with solid bottoms and holes up the sides, you would probably need to submerge the whole pot.

Home and Garden Pest Control AntsApril 12, 2016
🌻
🐛
📓
😎