Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Old Scars

When I was 15 years old I got an allergy that formed into black scar on my leg. 9 years have past already. I cannot consult a dermatology because I know it will cost too much and I don't have a large enough budget. What is the best solution of my problem?

By Gin from Pampanga, Philippines

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By freshgreengrace02/28/2011

Try, bio oil. In Australia it is sold in chemists. I think you call them drug stores over there! Ask your pharmacist but I know that this product is good. It's vitamin e, and regardless, it can't hurt!

By Alizaren [1]02/26/2011

The only product that has been proven to lighten the skin is hydroquinone, and it must be in 2% form and be packaged to keep out air. Paula's Choice makes a very good one, it has dramatically lightened a spot on my face that was dark red. You can buy that product at: www.cosmeticscop.com You can also read up on that ingredient there.

By SAT [2]02/24/2011

Argan or Moroccan oil 3 times a day might work. Also raw or unrefined shea butter 3 times a day. Takes 3-6 months to see some results and then use it until the results are what you want. You can even use a mixture of the 2. Use very sparingly. Both can be found on amazon. Make sure the shea butter is raw or unrefined. Shea butter comes from Ghana.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Old Scars

How do I remove 30 year old scars on my legs?

Charmaine

RE: Removing Old Scars

Make an appointment with a professional dermatologist. (12/09/2008)

By MCW

RE: Removing Old Scars

Try a product called Bio-oil. There have been advertisements in magazines and it is sold in drug stores. (12/11/2008)

By Janet

RE: Removing Old Scars

Well, I've found that vitamin E can remove scars, but it takes a while and you have to be consistent. You can pop vitamin E capsules and put it on the scars or look for lotions that have tocopherol in them. Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment or Palmer's Cocoa Butter both seem to work well. (12/20/2008)

By Ani

Archive: Removing Old Scars

How do I remove old scars on my legs? Does anyone care to share or give an idea?

By Lanie

RE: Removing Old Scars

You need to find a dermatologist that has the Fraxel laser. I have many scars on my arms, and I heard this on a talk show. I called a dermatologist and it was going to be $100 per scar. Can't afford it yet but I plan on it in the near future. (08/17/2010)

By peachynptc

RE: Removing Old Scars

Hi, I have some pretty bad scaring on my legs from surgery and being in a house fire where I had third degree burns on both of them and I have been using argon oil when ever I think of it (rubbing it in to the whole leg areas on both legs) and I am very glad to report that the scaring is going away, it has considerably disappeared and is now lightening the dark areas, and I have very soft legs.

The keloids have even gone away which kinda blew me away, I also use this stuff any where that is dry and even on my hair and face. It is like a miracle thing for me, I picked it up at Sally Beauty Supply for 7 dollars and a little goes along way. I haven't even got down half way over a year now and it smells divine also, I hope that it may help you. Have a pink rainbow day. Georgia in Ohio (08/19/2010)

By mypinkrainbow