Remedies for Scars on Legs

Removing scars from legs can be frustrating. There are different treatments for different kinds of scars. Find remedies for scars on legs in this guide.

When I was 15 years old I got an allergy that formed into black scar on my leg. 9 years have past already. I cannot consult a dermatology because I know it will cost too much and I don't have a large enough budget. What is the best solution of my problem?

By Gin from Pampanga, Philippines

Answers

Best Answer

Argan or Moroccan oil 3 times a day might work. Also raw or unrefined shea butter 3 times a day. Takes 3-6 months to see some results and then use it until the results are what you want. You can even use a mixture of the 2. Use very sparingly. Both can be found on amazon. Make sure the shea butter is raw or unrefined. Shea butter comes from Ghana.

Best Answer

The only product that has been proven to lighten the skin is hydroquinone, and it must be in 2% form and be packaged to keep out air. Paula's Choice makes a very good one, it has dramatically lightened a spot on my face that was dark red. You can buy that product at: www.cosmeticscop.com You can also read up on that ingredient there.

What's a natural remedy that I can use to get rid of scars on my knees? When I was younger I was a tomboy and my knees are so scarred up from being rough. It didn't bother me then, but now that I am older it does.

By Tina from AZ

Answers

Best Answer

I would try vitamin E oil. It can be found at any drugstore. You can also buy it in capsules just poke a hole in it. This worked for me. Good luck.

How do I remove old scars on my legs? Does anyone care to share or give an idea?

By Lanie

Answers:

Removing Old Scars

You need to find a dermatologist that has the Fraxel laser. I have many scars on my arms, and I heard this on a talk show. I called a dermatologist and it was going to be $100 per scar. Can't afford it yet but I plan on it in the near future. (08/17/2010)

By peachynptc

Removing Old Scars

Hi, I have some pretty bad scaring on my legs from surgery and being in a house fire where I had third degree burns on both of them and I have been using argon oil when ever I think of it (rubbing it in to the whole leg areas on both legs) and I am very glad to report that the scaring is going away, it has considerably disappeared and is now lightening the dark areas, and I have very soft legs.

The keloids have even gone away which kinda blew me away, I also use this stuff any where that is dry and even on my hair and face. It is like a miracle thing for me, I picked it up at Sally Beauty Supply for 7 dollars and a little goes along way. I haven't even got down half way over a year now and it smells divine also, I hope that it may help you.

Have a pink rainbow day.
Georgia in Ohio (08/19/2010)

By mypinkrainbow

I'm graduating this April and I have a big problem. I suffered from an allergy and it hit my legs. Now it leaves very ugly and dark big scars. I need to wear a dress in my graduation. But how can I wear dress if I have scars? It really bothers me so much. It's less than a month before graduation. Any suggestion to help me cover my scars so I can wear a dress? And as well, any cure to these scars? Please help. Thanks a lot.

By simplegirl from Philippines

Answers:

Scars on My Legs

You can wear stockings. Beautiful lacy nylons look very nice, and can cover good. Good luck. (03/19/2010)

By kffrmw88

Scars on My Legs

There is also stage makeup, that could be used. Also the graduation gowns that I have seen are quite long, and should cover most of your legs. (03/19/2010)

By redhatterb

Scars on My Legs

Tights and leggings are very "in" this season. You could wear a skirt with matching leggings or there are some very pretty tights with designs woven into them. Best of luck and congratulations on your graduation! (03/19/2010)

By readingiggits

Scars on My Legs

Spray on leg makeup by Sally Hansen. There is a wonderful product that you can buy at most Drug Stores for around $12 for one bottle, but it also comes in a 3 pack. It's a spray-on leg make-up made by Sally Hansen. It comes in 4 shades and is meant to be worn when swimming so it won't come off on to your clothes! Before applying this spray-on leg makeup you can first put concealer on the darker spots.

*Buy 2 bottles and do a test run before the big event so you know exactly what to do and how to apply the leg makeup to it correctly. This way, there will be no surprises!

For more information: Sally Hansen "Salon Airbrush Legs" a spray-on leg makeup:
http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=149

Reviews:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/217426/i_cannot_live_without_sally_hansens.html?cat=69

Since you don't live in the USA you can buy it on the web:
http://www.dealsbuzzhealth.com/product/Merchant/FR.htm

If you can't find it, e-mail or call the Sally Hansen people. If you don't have time to order it on the web you can go to any beauty supply and ask for a spray-on face makeup. But Leg make up is made to cover spider veins and scars, so it's stronger that regular spray-on face make up. It also is made not to rub off on to your clothes. You could also use a 24 hour (not spray) face make up like L'oreal Infallible. I wear this when it's really hot in the summer and no matter how much I sweat, it won't come off. If you use L'oreal Infallible, be sure to first moisturize your legs before applying it. The Infallible costs $15 in US dollars if it's not on sale.

Otherwise, buy some opaque tights in a nude color. Or to camouflage your scars, buy some nylons in a sparkling-gold glitter. You would see the sparkles and not your scars. They sell these at some department stores, especially around the Christmas Holidays. They look really cool!

After your legs are totally healed, you can use a sugar-scrub to exfoliate them (as long as this doesn't irritate them). You just use plain table sugar, and about twice a week when your legs are damp in the shower, just rub the sugar back and forth all over them with the palms of your hands, then rinse off all the sugar and moisturize with an unscented body lotion. This speeds up cell turnover and will help your scars SLOWLY disappear. There is hope! I used to have very dark patches on my face from bad acne, but after several years they eventually faded and are now almost totally gone. You can also mix the sugar with a tiny bit of olive or mineral oil and exfoliate with this (the oil helps moisturize), but your shower can get slippery and dangerous, so please use care! (03/20/2010)

By Cyinda

Scars on My Legs

I got to thinking early this morning, here in South Dakota you see a lot of people wearing dresses that are just right at or just slightly above the ankles. That could be a solution too, unless the dresses all have to be a certain distance from the floor. It seems like any length is in style right now. (03/20/2010)

By redhatterb

Scars on My Legs

If you decide to use hose to cover your legs, consider wearing two pairs - put an opaque pair on first, then a much more sheer pair on top. If you select the hose properly, the bottom pair won't be noticeable at all, and it won't look as if you're trying to hide a thing! Also, if your dress is all or partly black, you can wear black hose, which conceal scars much better. Congratulations on your graduation! (03/21/2010)

By straightace

Scars on My Legs

You might want to call your skin doctor/allergist and find out if any of the scar fading medications, such as Mederma, might help. That's available without a prescription, but I think it'd be best to know it's safe for you and if they think it CAN work. OR, maybe they'd know of something better! I also like the idea of patterned hose. If you're wearing a dressy dress you could get dressy ones, and if it's a suit/business type outfit, the geometric designs would work well. Congratulations and good luck in your future endeavors in life! (03/21/2010)

By janiebean

Scars on My Legs

You are the only one who is going to be looking at your legs. This a time for celebration! No one will be looking at or talking about your legs. Relax and have fun and enjoy your graduation! People are going to be proud of you and your accomplishments, not even noticing your scars. And so what if they do? They are just scars on your legs. Think about the people who have scars or burns or are disfigured on their faces. Stop obsessing about this.

Show people your confidence. Inner beauty and character are much more important than your looks. Concentrate on your good qualities like kindness, humility, intellect. Oh, you can also make a point of giving other people compliments. Just say something nice about their hair, the tie they are wearing, anything! All of us are attracted to people who make us feel good about ourselves. Go out there and make a difference. Your scars don't define who you are as a person. Your character does! Congratulations on graduating! (03/22/2010)

By PainterLee

Scars on My Legs

Try Vitamin E oil. This works well for scars. Also, panty hose or leggings would be cute to finish your outfit. I know you will look just beautiful! Congratulations on your graduation and have a wonderful "big" day! (03/22/2010)

By wsurfs

Scars on My Legs

Oh my, can I relate! Back in the day when it was acceptable, the men always called me "Legs." I had beautiful legs, but a broken knee, allergies and an accident being impaled on an old rusty wire trellis left them rather scarred. Not to worry!

Great advice on the leggings, so fashionable these days. Great advice on the vitamin E. Yet, once that is taken care of. Bring everyone's eyes "UP." Do this by your hairstyle, hair adornment and makeup. Have a great bust-line or waist? Adorn that. No one will take a second look at your legs.

It 's true that we all focus on our shortcomings and think that others do also, but it is simply NOT true. Some great hair, makeup, all things "up," but the external scars will fade! Bring your sparkling personality and an "up-ness" and you will get through your graduation and the rest of your life just fine. Congratulations on your accomplishments, plural! (03/22/2010)

By tahloolabelle

Scars on My Legs

You've already been given lots of good advice, but I wanted to tell you that those scars will greatly fade, and many of them completely, over time all on their own! I've had so many scars, some small and some large, and a few of them were keloid scars and almost all of them are barely noticeable now. :-)

So just cover them for now for your special occasion with makeup or stockings, or just think of them as a badge. :-) Enjoy your special day and congratulations! (03/22/2010)

By Deeli

Scars on My Legs

If you can get a product called Dermablend where you are, it may work. I have veins all over my legs and I am able to wear shorts or dresses all summer. First, apply body lotion to start with a smooth finish, rub a little Dermablend on the palms of your hands and run them over your legs. And then, do a second light coat. This will prevent missing a spot and you will use less. Let it dry for about 10 minutes and lightly brush your legs with loose powder. This will set the product.

They make a Dermablend setting powder but it is expensive and I have found that any cheap dusting powder will work just as well. I have found that I can go into a swimming pool without rub-off as long as I don't rub my legs with a towel. Sometimes, I even shower with it on and make sure not to rub my legs. Good luck! (03/22/2010)

By Goldie2

I have long thick scars on my legs. What can I use to remove them?

Can anyone help me get rid of my scars on my legs. It makes me feel so uncomfortable and don't have much confidence to face the world. I'm just a poor person I can't afford those expensive products. If only there's a total makeover here for free I'll surely grab it. It's only in the U.S. Where there is free make over.