Freezing Plums

Freezing is a common method of preserving excess fruit and vegetables. So if you have an abundance of plums from your garden or found a great sale at the market consider freezing some for later use. This is a guide about freezing plums.

Frozen cherry plums.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 28, 2012 Flag

To prevent plums from turning brown I've read that you can wash them in a solution of water and lemon juice. True or false? Does it work and what's the amount you use of each, water:lemon juice?

By DF

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use about a teaspoon of lemon juice added the the plums that you are preparing to can. Not sure about the ratio for a water lemon wash.

July 24, 2010 Flag

How do I freeze fresh plums?

By GreenEyes

According to an old Farm Journal cookbook I have, plums are better canned for dessert than frozen however here ya go:

Wash and cut the plums in half, removing the pits or leave whole. Pack in syrup made with 3 cups sugar to 1 qt. water or pack dry. Remove as much of the air as possible and freeze.

Note: packing dry without syrup works well if you are planning on making jam from the plums (otherwise they get a little mushy when thawed).

July 24, 2010 Flag

Can you freeze fresh plums? What is the best method? Can they be frozen with the skin on and the pit inside?

By Dolly from Marion, TX

June 8, 2010 Flag

Can I freeze fresh plums?

Carmen from Fairfield, California

Answers:

Freezing Fresh Plums

You can, but then you'll be learning to make jam and jelly. Quickly rinse the plums, put them on a cookie sheet with sides AND a silicone sheet and freeze, then bag. You'll be able to take them out individually if you wish.
good luck (07/15/2008)

By 2oma

Freezing Fresh Plums

I freeze them for later use. I wash, slice in half, remove the pit, put the halves in a freezer bag, a tablespoon of lemon juice, squish the bag to get lemon juice on the cut sides, add white grape juice or apple juice and squeeze out the air and freeze. They are good in baked goods, puddings and sauces. I also freeze peaches and cherries for later. (07/16/2008)

By scott E.

Freezing Fresh Plums

I froze them by just putting them in the bag and putting them in the freezer. They are a little mushy when you thaw them but good just to eat on a cold day, slightly frozen or to put into fruit salad or make a cobbler out of them. You can do almost anything with plums you can do with peaches. I also freeze peaches this way if I do not have time to peel them and slice them. (07/17/2008)

By Pat

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesDecember 1, 2011
Two Ripe Plums on a Tree
Growing Plums
Canning Plums, Storing Plums. Selecting Good Plums. Ripe Plums on White Background
Canning Plums
Victoria Plums
Growing Victoria Plums
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 12, 2016 at 10:58:05 PM on 10.0.0.200 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.