Browsing: Remedies for a Sunburn

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for a Sunburn

Prevention is the best remedy. But if you find yourself with a sunburn, it is best to treat it as soon as possible. This is a guide about remedies for a sunburn.

Sunburn
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 2, 2012 Flag

I have painful, peeling sunburn. It started out with just my chin peeling, because I had used different acne lotion and I went into the sun. Now my face is peeling, the chin, then it went to the nose, the next day it went to my cheeks. My chin is so painful, it burns like crazy when I put moisturizer on to help the tightness and peeling. I can't stand it and I want to know what will at least stop the intense pain.

By Alex

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sounds like you have more going on beside sunburn; possibly an allergic reaction to the new acne medicine. You might consider seeing a doctor pronto.

Vitamin E oil (10,000 IU) is great for healing sunburn or burns of any kind. Just be sure to avoid putting it on any broken skin areas.

Read More Answers...

March 29, 2012 Flag

How can I help take the sting out? I can't even sleep it's so bad. What can I do? I also have a pretty bad sunburn on my entire face, do you have any ideas on how to help the sting?

I have tried aloe on my windburn and it didn't work.

By Gabrielle A. from Titusville, FL

Best Answer

If you don't mind the smell you can use cider vinegar. You can also brew tea and use the tea bags. These have always worked for me.

Take some aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofin, or naproxen. They are anti-inflammatory drugs that are readily available. That will cool the burn.

Read More Answers...

June 8, 2010 Flag

For about 2 weeks I've had a sunburn on my scalp. It's annoying and it looks like I have dandruff. It's flaky and looks really bad. I read online to put aloe After Sun on it. I found this stuff around my house called Key Lime Lotion and it's an after sun product. I put a glop in my hair, used a comb and brushed it through. I have to leave this in for 2-3 hours. Is there something easier I can do to get rid of the flakiness, without my hair looking greasy?

By Lovey from MD

Best Answer

The best thing I've ever tried I just learned on a site called Earth Clinic; however, i don't know how it will work for an old burn because I use it for new burns to prevent peeling. Won't hurt to try though. Just take apple cider vinegar (or white will do if you don't have access) and put it on a cotton ball. Gently apply to the burned area and let it dry. It is the only thing I have ever used that seems to instantly allow that trapped heat to escape and your skin goes from hot to the touch to cool to the touch. It prevents blistering and peeling too.

For the dry skin thing, I use extra virgin olive oil... just like someone else said. I use it for an everyday moisturizer too... even on my scalp and face. If you put it on straight out of the shower, it won't be too thick and heavy. I just blot any areas that are too thick with a towel and it feels great!

If you're worried about your hair looking greasy then try (overnight) raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered honey. Just rub some on and wash it out in the morning. Raw honey helps wounds heal so much faster than on their own. Also, I heard that coconut oil works wonders for any sun/skin related thing but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Coconuts aren't easily accessible here :).

By the way, if you tried or are going to try soaking your hair in olive oil and it doesn't wash out easily, try rinsing it with ACV. After shampooing, dump about a cup on your head (keep your eyes closed! Ouch!) and try to let it set for about 1 minute before rinsing it out. I know it is a great solvent for oily or greasy things because I once put Bag Balm on my scalp to try overnight and when I woke up my hair was matted down with it. I washed it six times within two days and it still didn't come out till someone told me to try vinegar. It came out on the first rinse then.

Try apple cider vinager on areas. Or cold tea bags. Good luck Invest in sunscreen

Read More Answers...

August 19, 2011 Flag

Having fair skin and loving to swim, I have had sunburns since I was a child. For mild sunburns (reddened skin, mild heat), I suggest a cool water bath that has vinegar added. Water should be no more than lukewarm when added to the tub. Add a big splash of white vinegar to the water, then soak in it for at least 15 minutes. Do NOT get water in your eyes - it really stings! The longer you soak, the more cooling effect the bath has. Pat dry with a towel (don't rub since that will irritate the skin). Apply a moisturizing lotion or aloe gel, and cover with loose clothing.

By the next day the redness should be gone and tenderness, too. This method is not recommended for toddlers since they splash and "play" too much in the bath and would get vinegar water in their eyes or mouths. It won't kill them, but it can make them cry.

Source: My mother, grandmother, aunts all did this to us when my cousins and I were small - long before SPF sunscreens. Some of the cousins tanned, some burned, but we all played outdoors most of the summer.

By Melody from Oak Ridge, TN

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 12, 2012 Flag

Tea for a SunburnBoil your water and let a tea bag steep in it, until it is cool. Then take a cotton ball and apply it to your sunburn. Do this twice. It's better at bedtime, so that the tea can work it's magic while you sleep. Don't wash it off until morning. It takes the sting right out of the burn.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

August 19, 2011 Flag
First: Take a cool bath to cool the burn. I add lavender which helps take the sting feeling out of the burn. Soak 15-20 minutes. Pat dry.

Second: Apply aloe vera gel to the sunburn.

Third: Use aspirin or Ibuprofen for the pain and for the anti-inflammatory affect.

Fourth: Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

Fifth: Apply ice to any area that is very painful.

Hope this helps.

By Supermom from Port William, OH

August 12, 2008 Flag

This article contains several tips, product reviews and step by step treatments for sunburn as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. If you have a favorite remedy that hasn't been listed, post it below.

Sunburn

May 5, 2005 Flag

I recently got a terrible sunburn/windburn while at an all day air show. I was blistered and swollen, it was so bad. I've found THE cure for the worst of sunburns - Solarcaine sunburn pain for the pain plus an anti-inflammatory.

June 20, 2012 Flag

I really like the Arnica Gel that you get from your health food stores. I find it works really well right after coming in from outside! Awhile back I had burned my cheek with a curling iron and I put Arnica on it right away.

August 19, 2011 Flag

When I was younger and also many times over the years I have heard, read, and had people tell me to put vinegar on a sunburn. DO NOT do this! Sure, it may work on some people, but for those of us who it doesn't work on, it can cause a lot of pain!

June 30, 2006 Flag

Here is a great idea for summer. Freeze aloe vera gel in an ice cube tray.

December 9, 2005 Flag

Add honey or egg yolk to crushed green grapes and leave on damp skin for 15 minutes. Also, try applying a chamomile extract, crushed strawberries or liquid from a split fresh Aloe Vera leaf.

June 8, 2010 Flag

I got sunburned really bad on my face, arms and legs over the weekend and now my nose is starting to peel. Looks awful, even starting to get a sore on the side. Is there a homemade recipe or suggestion I can use to lessen the ugliness of this? I am embarrassed to go out, but have to for work. I try to keep moisturizer on it, doesn't seem to help much. Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

jmz2005 from illinois

Answers:

Treating a Sunburn

Aloe Vera gel works great. (05/16/2007)

By glowgirl

Treating a Sunburn

I live in Florida, so Bactine or Noxzema works great to help heal the burn. I then use a darker shade of foundation on the face to help hide the redness and blotchy skin. It works for me and I hope it will help you. Another hint is to go to the dollar tree and get the baby 40 SPF sunscreen. We have a pool and none of our 10 grand-kids ever got burnt. For a $1.00 you can't go wrong. Good luck. (05/16/2007)

By bonnie

Treating a Sunburn

I know firsthand what you must be going through and can empathize with you. The best product I have used to date when I get sunburned is Aveeno's Daily Moisturizing Lotion with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal. It relieves and protects Dry Skin for 24 hours and is fragrance free. Being a redhead, my skin is very sensitive and dries easily when I get even the slightest bit of sun, and this is the only product that I can use that doesn't dry out my skin and make it feel worse then it already does when I get too much sun. Hope this helps even a little bit, and I hope your burn feels better real soon.

Hugs,
Melody (05/16/2007)

By ladydragonfly

Treating a Sunburn

This is my Grandmother's old Norwegian recipe--

Use sour cream straight from the refrigerator. It soothes the burn very well. When it begins to dry, just wash it off and add more as needed. (05/16/2007)

By rc53

Treating a Sunburn

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will be trying them out. (05/16/2007)

By jmz2005

Treating a Sunburn

Now that you are peeling, use a gentle exfoliate. You can buy them of course. But you can make your own using plain oatmeal and farina/grits/cream of wheat (depending of which part of the country you're from) and blend them into a fine powder. Add a little warm water and make it into a scrub/mask that helps remove the old/burned skin. After rinsing off, use a good moisturizer that doesn't clog your pores. This is a great scrub for your face as it isn't too harsh. You can use it about once a week or so all the time. (05/17/2007)

By Angie

Treating a Sunburn

We keep our Aloe Vera in the fridge. Great on a burn. Just for future use. Hope this helps. (05/21/2007)

By Christine L.In

Treating a Sunburn

Noxzema. I used to burn when I was in my twenties, before I decided to avoid the sun, too late now, but for the future, the idea is to cool the skin ASAP. Believe it or not, if you submerge the skin in ice water for awhile right as you notice the burn, it will slow down the damage. Then you cake on Noxema which actually cools down the skin more, treats the burn medically (and it's cheap). Leave it on awhile, when it's no longer white it's probably served its purpose and you can rinse it off (always with very cold water until the red is completely gone) and then use the Aloe Vera.

A word about the Aloe, it's actually not always 'active' in all its skin protection properties if it's not very fresh. There are two things you can do to ensure this, use only the health food store variety, and it has to be pure gel. Or, do what I do and keep a plant. Open a leaf by splitting it down the middle and either rub it directly on the skin for immediate relief or squeeze out the gel and use it straight from the plant. Don't wash this off.

So, cool the skin with ice water, reinforce that with Noxzema, and follow with truly fresh aloe which you would reapply often. If you have trouble sleeping at night, repeat the ice water and Noxzema. Should reduce the discomfort until you can fall asleep. I hate this situation, and wish you luck! If the sore seems infected, or you are truly miserable, call a doctor or ER and ask for an advice RN. I'm an RN student, and I know they'll talk to you if you call an ER and insist on talking to an RN. Take care! (05/23/2007)

By MAnne

Treating a Sunburn

Noxzema will burn some people. I can't use it at all. I would suggest buying some Carnation canned whole milk, refrigerate it, and then dab on the sunburn with cotton balls as needed.

You could even add milk to cool bath water for a "milk bath." (05/26/2007)

By dibbs

Treating a Sunburn

Hi. My son went swimming last weekend and got sunburned (ouch!), he is at the peeling stage too. He was going out today and was embarrassed at the peeling on his face, until I got the bottle of St. Ives Alpha-Hydroxy Facial Renewal Lotion out and he applied it. It smoothed it out. It is great for replenishing the skin and soothes it too.

Also, I have found that when you're at the just sunburned stage, here are a few home remedies: first take Ibuprofen immediately and every 4 hrs., mix in a large bowl, one cup of skim milk, 3 cups cold water, add a few ice cubes. After a few minutes, soak a white cotton cloth (a t-shirt will do) in this, and squeeze out excess. Apply to burned area (s) and let it soothe. Repeat every 2 hrs. I learned this from a nurse. When you have to leave the house, use vinegar to spray from a bottle and mix it with cold ice water. Hope this helps! (06/14/2007)

By Rhonda

Treating a Sunburn

We always use Aloe Vera gel. If we run out, soak a cloth in milk and apply to skin. Keep skin covered for a few days afterward with a long sleeved cotton shirt. (07/28/2007)

Treating a Sunburn

Try covering your body with honey! It will soothe your sunburn and honey is a humectant, meaning it attracts and retains moisture. Just smear on honey, leave on for 15 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Then apply some Extra Virgin Olive Oil to moisturize skin. (09/01/2007)

By Anonymous101

Treating a Sunburn

I began to peel after getting sunburned and I did a really "dumb" thing. I used an exfoliator that was too strong to hasten the peeling, and after a week or so I am experiencing burning that is very painful. I hope I haven't done nerve damage to my skin. Bottom line, don't be an idiot and make the mistake I have made. I have made an appointment with my dermatologist. Old enough to know better! (09/02/2007)

By Judy

Treating a Sunburn

Noxzema. (06/02/2008)

By kaitlyn

Treating a Sunburn

I also use Aveeno moisturizing lotion. Works great. (06/08/2008)

Treating a Sunburn

This seems extreme but it works; get a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and a small bottle of aspirin. If you want to use it right away, crush the aspirin up and place in alcohol, shake for a minute, then apply to the affected area. It works wonders, but it also promotes peeling so the next day, treat with a skin lotion. It works every time! (06/09/2008)

By Joe

Treating a Sunburn

You can try plain yogurt, not the flavored one, but the plain yogurt. It's supposed to be good. (07/29/2008)

By S

Treating a Sunburn

As a pharmacist, we are often first line in sunburn treatment. There is a new product out this year called Sunburn911. I was a skeptic but results back up this product's claims. Really good stuff and gives up to 6 hours of relief as it claims and that is a big plus when you are hurting from sunburn. (07/28/2009)

By rxdawg2005

January 16, 2011 Flag

What is something that you can use to relieve sunburns other than aloe vera gel. I have sensitive skin and I am very light skinned and can't tan.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 22, 2012
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Remedies for Cold Sores
Remedies for Cold Sores
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 3:04:56 PM on 10.0.1.28 in 680 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.