Browsing: Remedies for a Sunburn

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for a Sunburn

Prevention is the best remedy. But if you find yourself with a sunburn, it is best to treat it as soon as possible. This is a guide about remedies for a sunburn.

Sunburn
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 2, 2012 Flag

I have painful, peeling sunburn. It started out with just my chin peeling, because I had used different acne lotion and I went into the sun. Now my face is peeling, the chin, then it went to the nose, the next day it went to my cheeks. My chin is so painful, it burns like crazy when I put moisturizer on to help the tightness and peeling. I can't stand it and I want to know what will at least stop the intense pain.

By Alex

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sounds like you have more going on beside sunburn; possibly an allergic reaction to the new acne medicine. You might consider seeing a doctor pronto.

Vitamin E oil (10,000 IU) is great for healing sunburn or burns of any kind. Just be sure to avoid putting it on any broken skin areas.

Read More Answers...

March 29, 2012 Flag

How can I help take the sting out? I can't even sleep it's so bad. What can I do? I also have a pretty bad sunburn on my entire face, do you have any ideas on how to help the sting?

I have tried aloe on my windburn and it didn't work.

By Gabrielle A. from Titusville, FL

Best Answer

If you don't mind the smell you can use cider vinegar. You can also brew tea and use the tea bags. These have always worked for me.

Take some aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofin, or naproxen. They are anti-inflammatory drugs that are readily available. That will cool the burn.

Read More Answers...

June 8, 2010 Flag

For about 2 weeks I've had a sunburn on my scalp. It's annoying and it looks like I have dandruff. It's flaky and looks really bad. I read online to put aloe After Sun on it. I found this stuff around my house called Key Lime Lotion and it's an after sun product. I put a glop in my hair, used a comb and brushed it through. I have to leave this in for 2-3 hours. Is there something easier I can do to get rid of the flakiness, without my hair looking greasy?

By Lovey from MD

Best Answer

The best thing I've ever tried I just learned on a site called Earth Clinic; however, i don't know how it will work for an old burn because I use it for new burns to prevent peeling. Won't hurt to try though. Just take apple cider vinegar (or white will do if you don't have access) and put it on a cotton ball. Gently apply to the burned area and let it dry. It is the only thing I have ever used that seems to instantly allow that trapped heat to escape and your skin goes from hot to the touch to cool to the touch. It prevents blistering and peeling too.

For the dry skin thing, I use extra virgin olive oil... just like someone else said. I use it for an everyday moisturizer too... even on my scalp and face. If you put it on straight out of the shower, it won't be too thick and heavy. I just blot any areas that are too thick with a towel and it feels great!

If you're worried about your hair looking greasy then try (overnight) raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered honey. Just rub some on and wash it out in the morning. Raw honey helps wounds heal so much faster than on their own. Also, I heard that coconut oil works wonders for any sun/skin related thing but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Coconuts aren't easily accessible here :).

By the way, if you tried or are going to try soaking your hair in olive oil and it doesn't wash out easily, try rinsing it with ACV. After shampooing, dump about a cup on your head (keep your eyes closed! Ouch!) and try to let it set for about 1 minute before rinsing it out. I know it is a great solvent for oily or greasy things because I once put Bag Balm on my scalp to try overnight and when I woke up my hair was matted down with it. I washed it six times within two days and it still didn't come out till someone told me to try vinegar. It came out on the first rinse then.

Try apple cider vinager on areas. Or cold tea bags. Good luck Invest in sunscreen

Read More Answers...

August 19, 2011 Flag

Having fair skin and loving to swim, I have had sunburns since I was a child. For mild sunburns (reddened skin, mild heat), I suggest a cool water bath that has vinegar added. Water should be no more than lukewarm when added to the tub. Add a big splash of white vinegar to the water, then soak in it for at least 15 minutes. Do NOT get water in your eyes - it really stings! The longer you soak, the more cooling effect the bath has. Pat dry with a towel (don't rub since that will irritate the skin). Apply a moisturizing lotion or aloe gel, and cover with loose clothing.

By the next day the redness should be gone and tenderness, too. This method is not recommended for toddlers since they splash and "play" too much in the bath and would get vinegar water in their eyes or mouths. It won't kill them, but it can make them cry.

Source: My mother, grandmother, aunts all did this to us when my cousins and I were small - long before SPF sunscreens. Some of the cousins tanned, some burned, but we all played outdoors most of the summer.

By Melody from Oak Ridge, TN

June 12, 2012 Flag

Tea for a SunburnBoil your water and let a tea bag steep in it, until it is cool. Then take a cotton ball and apply it to your sunburn. Do this twice. It's better at bedtime, so that the tea can work it's magic while you sleep. Don't wash it off until morning. It takes the sting right out of the burn.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

August 19, 2011 Flag

First, take a cool bath to cool the burn. I add lavender which helps take the sting feeling out of the burn. Soak 15-20 minutes. Pat dry.

August 12, 2008 Flag

This article contains several tips, product reviews and step by step treatments for sunburn as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. If you have a favorite remedy that hasn't been listed, post it below.

Sunburn

May 5, 2005 Flag

I recently got a terrible sunburn/windburn while at an all day air show. I was blistered and swollen, it was so bad. I've found THE cure for the worst of sunburns - Solarcaine sunburn pain for the pain plus an anti-inflammatory.

June 20, 2012 Flag

I really like the Arnica Gel that you get from your health food stores. I find it works really well right after coming in from outside! Awhile back I had burned my cheek with a curling iron and I put Arnica on it right away.

August 19, 2011 Flag

When I was younger and also many times over the years I have heard, read, and had people tell me to put vinegar on a sunburn. DO NOT do this! Sure, it may work on some people, but for those of us who it doesn't work on, it can cause a lot of pain!

June 30, 2006 Flag

Here is a great idea for summer. Freeze aloe vera gel in an ice cube tray.

December 9, 2005 Flag

Add honey or egg yolk to crushed green grapes and leave on damp skin for 15 minutes. Also, try applying a chamomile extract, crushed strawberries or liquid from a split fresh Aloe Vera leaf.

June 8, 2010 Flag

I got sunburned really bad on my face, arms, and legs over the weekend and now my nose is starting to peel. Is there a homemade recipe or suggestion I can use to lessen the ugliness of this?

January 16, 2011 Flag

What is something that you can use to relieve sunburns other than aloe vera gel. I have sensitive skin and I am very light skinned and can't tan.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 22, 2012
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Remedies for Cold Sores
Remedies for Cold Sores
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:03:54 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.