Apartment Hunting Tips

When I search for a new apartment I keep the following things I want in mind:

1. Opt for no corner units as you are heating and cooling 2 walls instead of one and there is no wind-break on corner units. Try choosing a unit in the middle of the building.
  2. Ad
  3. Most apartments only have windows, patio doors on one side of the unit (unless of course you choose a corner unit); so by choosing a unit that does not face the West and is in the middle of the building (especially in the summer) you do not get the direct heat of the afternoon sun; therefore helping save on your A/C (electric) bill.

Another plus to this is you can enjoy your patio much more by sitting in the shade and not the direct sun. And if you have plants, you will not have to water them as often, therefore saving on your water bill. Last but not least, if your parking spot is directly in front of your apartment, your car will be shaded usually by 5:00 or 6:00 (I am on central time) so should you have to go somewhere, it will not take your car's A/C near as long to cool the inside.

By Donna from Roanoke, TX

I like patios with the sun hitting them

In the winter it keeps my heating bill down

In the summer I hang a shade to block most of the sun from warming the sliding doors

Great ideas!

I'd add one - go looking with an honest, down to earth, safety minded friend.

Sometimes another pair of eyes sees things you don't see or notices things you don't consider.

It's also safer than to go alone!

If you do get an apartment with the sun blasting in, you could try using roller shades (Walmart, Target, etc.) than block out 100% of light. This helped a friend of mine quite a lot. Helped, not perfect.

Very important - knock on doors and ask the people who already live there questions about the complex; safe, quiet, if female, do they get their groceries at night?, can you walk/job safely around the complex, etc.

Also ride through the complex different days of the week in the morning, evening, night, late, early, saturdays and sundays - you'd be surprised what you find!

Also, get to know your neighbors when you move it. You don't have to have slumber parties with them, but you can keep an eye out for each other.

Good luck!

I'll look for just the oposite. My next place will hopefully have 1)southern exposure for me and my plants 2)corner unit for no neighbors on one side 3)big and several windows for lots of light. My corner place now is dark year round even with bare winter trees. There is a townhouse on the south, a garage on the west, and misc. trees on the east. I put my 30+ houseplants outside as much as I can! Bright beats dark any day!

As a firefighter, I have to say you are safer and stand a better chance of a rescue if trapped in a fire if you are not in the center apartment. A corner one will have more escape routes (windows and doors).

An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Budget & Finance Renting ApartmentJanuary 12, 2009
Composting in an Apartment
Inexpensive Couch
Inexpensive Furnishings for a Temporary Apartment
A two story apartment complex.
Saving Money on an Apartment
Painted Screen Partition
Partitioning a Bedroom in an Apartment