WeedsGardening

Large Area Weed Killer

We have just bought a 1500 square meter property in Bulgaria. Unfortunately, it has about 1200 square meters worth of weeds I've never seen before. They are huge and scary.

I have 2 dogs, so poisons are out of the question. I really wanted to get it ready to plant vegetables in spring. Does anyone have suggestions of a fast weeding? The plants are huge and the roots are deep. One small section took me a week. It would take me 6 months minimum to do it by hand.

By Jamir from Burgas, Bulgaria

2 pigs and eletric fence water and shelter and some supplymentry feeding best way every, plus site comes manured ready for planting get a good book on subject. then you can either sell pigs or have extra food. when they have done their job. pigs will dig out and eat every deep rooted weed. good luck.

I would get a bushhog to mow it down and then plow up the area I wanted for a garden. But I like the pig idea. Around here we have talked about using goats for roughly the same thing but they don't go rootin'. But then they don't smell likek pigs either. Tough choice. Well, I do like pork more than mutton. :)

I have a small back yard, and all you see is weeds. I want to kill the weeds, turn the yard, and then plant new grass seed. What kind of homemade weed killer should I use to kill the weeds before growing new grass?

By Wting from IL

Answers:

Large Area Weed Killer

You should probably use a barrier method because any chemical will probably affect the new grass seed. Use black plastic to cover the weeds so they don't get light. I've also heard of using clear plastic, which "cooks" the weeds. There is more info if you google the topic online. (08/31/2009)

By merlene

Large Area Weed Killer

Thank you, Merlene, for your answer. I'm going to do just that. What a great idea. (09/02/2009)

By Wting

By Ellen Brown

Q: I want to use a homemade, non-toxic weed killer to kill off weeds in two large garden areas in my back yard. Spraying with a small spray bottle is not reasonable. Could someone give me a recipe or a conversion that would work in an Ortho bottle that I can connect to my garden hose?

KJV from Wisconsin

A:

KJV,

This recipe is very strong and will essentially kill the soil, and everything growing in it, wherever you apply it (including any beneficial microbes). It is not selective, meaning it will kill your ornamentals along with the weeds. If used heavily, you may have trouble growing new plants in areas where it's used unless you bring in some new soil. Don't use it on or near concrete or apply it on windy days. For best results, apply on a hot day and wait at least 24 hours after applying.

Recipe:

1. Mix 1 pound of salt with one gallon of white vinegar.
  2. Stir until the salt dissolves.
  3. Mix in one teaspoon of liquid soap.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Large Area Weed Killer

Well, I know that if you pour ordinary salt and water on weeds they die off after a few days. Maybe you could use a strong salt solution? It would be eco friendly and cheap too.
Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Chicky (09/03/2004)

By chickybiker

Large Area Weed Killer

I know that I have taken vinegar and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed it on the weeds and in a couple of days the weeds were gone. Just be careful that you don't spray it directly on the plants. (09/13/2004)

By Jenny

Large Area Weed Killer

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, and it's not a quick fix, but you can lay down wet newspaper (at least six sheets thick, in my opinion). Cover with sticks, rocks, dirt, etc. so it doesn't blow away. Next year the area should be clear of weeds and ready to be worked for a garden, lawn, or whatever. Good luck. (05/02/2009)

By editornj