Planting Seeds After Using Vinegar for Weeds

I was looking for a weed killer that would kill a grass like weed, but it is not grass. I found this homemade recipe:

• 1 gallon of distilled vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap

I honestly don't know what to do. This weed is everywhere this year - all over my neighbor's yard and in different parts of town. It's invasive and is starting to edge into my little patch of lawn. I want to get rid of it and plant some wildflowers and wild grass seed.

I reread some of the comments, I am now concerned that the vinegar will stay in the soil way longer than the time frame I need. How long do I need to wait after application to plant seeds in the same area?

Thanks!

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Mindy

Answers

May 12, 2012 Flag

I have sprayed straight vinegar on weeds (area 10 ft X 16ft). They're all dead. I will rake. What's the next step for a lawn? Can I add quality topsoil and seed after 4-5 days? Do I water it to clear the vinegar? How soon can I start work on new lawns?

By Denise L

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After the 5 - 6 day wait the vinegar will have evaporated. If your soil is loose rather than compacted Just put a not too thick layer of good topsoil and a little compost mix on top of the area. Rake it in then plant the seed as instructed. If your soil is compacted you will want to till it some first to loosen it up then add the topsoil and compost. There are light weight composts out there. I'm not talking about the heavy treebark kind.

killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Grassy WeedsApril 6, 2011
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
🎄