LeftoversFood Tips

Storing Leftovers in Ziplock Bags

When you have leftovers store them in a freezer bag in single size servings, then when you or someone wants one all they have to do is put one in boiling water until it is hot, pour it into a bowl, and enjoy it just as it was fresh. I mark each bag as to it's contents and the date if I think it isn't going to be eaten right away. I do this for my husband when I am going to be gone. He isn't real good about eating leftovers but this way he doesn't look at them as leftovers. Besides he hates to do dishes and all he has is his spoon if he eats out of a paper bowl.

When pouring left overs or any food or liquid into quart or pint bags, open the bag, push it down into a coffee cup, and roll the top down over the rim. It will keep the bag upright and keep the food from getting into the seal. Remember to work as much air out of the bag as possible as you seal the top. Try putting a straw just into the bag at one corner. Squeeze the air out toward that corner and as you get most of the air out suck the rest out with the straw as you press the seal shut. This took me a bit of practice but it does work quite well.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Cool idea! Now I am hungry for spaghetti!

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

Good idea latrtater. :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I would be afraid that plastic bags are not safe to put in boiling water-think of the chemicals on the food. I believe these bags are for storage only. Items you purchase in plastic bags probably are safe. I would contact the bag manufacturer re putting the bag in boiling water and their opinion regarding safety.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Sounds like a great idea but I agree with what 'moravice' said and would contact the manufacturer to see if you would get the ok from them. If it is ok, then it is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This links to Ziploc's website:

http://www.scjo  c-Bags-be-Boiled

The manufacturer does NOT recommend these bags be boiled. However, they can be microwaved.

Latrtatr's idea can still be used with a little tweak. Take your Ziploc serving down to defrost in the fridge the night before you're going to use it; then zap it in the microwave, probably about 30-45 seconds for a single serve.

Reply Like this photo? 1