Planning a Downsizing Sale

What is the best way to price and collect the money from a "moving to a smaller place sale"? I am having to help my parents downsize and everything must go! I need a good way to make it easy for my parents and me. The sale will be inside the whole house.

By Rita from Tuscaloosa, AL

Best Answer

Put ad in paper,"Estate Sale". Put price on everything, have someone there to help you, don't let anything go out the door before you get the money for it. Also have a price worked out just in case somebody wants everything. Also go online to see what prices are for Antiques, maybe that will help you with prices, good luck.

Best Answer

Cash and carry should be your rule. Tag everything for a reasonable price. Do not be greedy. Better to get something than nothing. Also tag things for group prices too, for example: a living room set, tag separately and then do a "sale" if they buy the whole set.

Advertise your sale in the local paper, with signs and on store bulletin boards. My neighbors just did one and they parked their car at the corner with a big bright sale saying "Moving Sale Everything Must Go" with an arrow pointing to their home and had balloons out in front with another sign.

Also look in the yellow pages for used furniture dealers, call and see what they would give you and price it about the same. As if they buy it they would mark it up, or it may turn out that you can sell it all to them. Good luck.

You also have to go by the area you live in, when it comes to pricing. Where I live you don't get much for anything. Make it cash only, and have some money on hand for change. Any furniture might be easier to put in a consignment store. Here when that is done the store gets half and the seller gets half.

I wold buy a package of multi-colored round stickers from an office supply store. Then I'd make price points for the smaller items to match the stickers. For example, all orange stickers = 25 cents, blue = 50 cents, and so on. Then make a few charts telling which stickers = what price. This way you don't have to put a price on every single item.

If you have things that aren't going to be sold, put them all in one room and keep that door closed. Another way is to cover the items with a sheet and a note; not for sale.

Good luck.