Planting a Lilac Near a Sewer Pipe

Can you plant a Lilac tree a few feet away from a old tree trunk? I was hoping to hide the trunk with the tree. The problem is also there is city piping 8 feet away as well. In the past, the Cedar tree roots went to piping for water and affected city sewage. Is it true as long as you keep the Lilac tree watered, the roots shouldn't go to piping? Please let me know.

Sounds risky and yet another possiblity of loosing another tree. Depending on the light the trunk gets you might try placing a hanging basket like a fern on top of it or put the top part of a bird bath on it and plant some pretty flowers that will hang off the sides.

The sewer pipe is likely leading or cracked, so I would NOT plant another tree of ANY kind. However,

a SMALL but mature evergreen, no larger than three feet should be safe to plant there, IF you can get a hole dug deep enough. Cross cut in both directions the old stump, if possible, to accelerate the decomposing of the old trunk. Expect lichen to grow to help eat it away. Something like mature Boxwood

or Camelia, might work, or even a small mature

CEDAR of a different variety would grow there. If it has a small growth pattern, it should NOT reach for

the pipe, or make matters worse, in my opinion. However, if the pipe is truly shallow, no deeper than

a foot down, I'd plant NOTHING there until the pipe

is completely repaired and NOT leading, then replace

with thich PVC, not copper line, which is less likely to leak. Good luck and God bless you. : )

I would not plant any tree near a sewer pipe, and never, never plant a tree anywhere under electrical or cable overhead lines.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 10, 2007
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Lilac Flowers
Lilac Leaves Turning Brown
Repairing a Broken Septic Pipe
Repairing a Broken Septic Pipe