DIY Pipe Cleaner "On-the-Go" Play Case
Younger children enjoy playing and creating with pipe cleaners. This case helps keep their supply of pipe cleaners and smaller finished projects together. This page contains instructions for a DIY pipe cleaner "on the go" play case.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Pipe cleaners are a fun on-the-go quiet play idea. Once they're out of the package though, you need a play case to keep everything in order. Here's how to make one so that cleanup is fast and take-along is completely grab'n go. An older child with basic sewing skills can even put the case together.
Approximate Time: 15 minutes
- pipe cleaners (chenille stems)
- two place mats
- bias tape or ribbon
- sewing machine or needle and thread
- Stitch the two placemats together at the bottom hems to create a seam.
- Cut some half lengths of pipe cleaners, to make play set with some variety.
- Stitch bias tape to the outside of one place mat. Use two strips, each about 10 inches long. These become the closure ties. I placed them in the middle vertically, one at the side hem, and the other 5 inches from it.
- On the inside of the same place mat, stitch two more sets of two lengths of bias tape. These can be shorter. I used 6 inch lengths. Both sets will be placed nearer the right or left side of the placemat, and one set will be half as high as the other set. Stitch the ends about 2.5 inches apart from each other.
- These two sets of bias tape strips become the ties used to store your straight pipe cleaner pieces.
- For quick cleanup after play time, just place any finished pipe cleaner shape masterpieces to the side of the straight stems.
- Fold the second placemat up over the first, covering the straight and shaped pipe cleaners.
- Roll the case up from one side, and secure with the outside pieces of bias tape. The play case is now ready to be transported.
By Kirsten from Logan, UT
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.