Microwave CookingFood Tips

Reusable Bowl Covers

Not only will this tip save you money, it will save you time. If you are anything like me, you are always hunting for lids for your plastic containers. Plus with the warnings that many plastics shouldn't be microwaved, why take the chance. Some give off toxic ingredients that are harmful.

You can cook in your glass, oven-wear, ceramic bowls and the leftovers can be stored in them. I bought a box of bowl covers. They are very cheap, they come in a variety of sizes, and that is what they used years ago. You save money on plastic wrap, save time hunting for lids for plastic containers, and its safer not heating with plastic. Just be sure to remove the bowl covers when heating. The covers are only for storing the food in safe bowls. Sure saves money on saran wrap. They can be washed and used over and over. Love the bowl covers!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

I use shower caps sometimes too which most of the time are much cheaper. However, the regular bowl covers come in different sizes so that makes them more versatile.

I have been doing this for at least 15 years. I find them at the dollar store too!

Thanks for this idea. I've never even thought to do this. I'll have to go find these. I've never looked for them before.

I agree, we discovered them here in Australia last year, they are what you say extremelyhandy but can also be used in an emergency as a shower cap!

Well done.

Carol - Australia