Disposing of a Lava Lamp Safely

How can I safely dispose of a lava lamp? There is a bottle cap on the top of the liquid, but I didn't know if I could pour out the liquid before throwing the rest of the lamp away or not? Thanks for all help.

By pmusicmom

Although their formula is a secret, manufacturers of lava lamps claim they are non-toxic. They recommend that you wrap the lamp in newspaper and throw it in the trash. Do not pour the liquid down a drain or flush it down the toilet because it contains wax which can stop up a sewer.

Thank you, thank you. I was worried about the wax at the bottom, didn't want to just pour it out until I knew what the liquid was. I appreciate your help and time!

Don't throw it out. Give it to your local thrift shop, they are coming back into style.

All a lava lamp is, is veggie oil and wax. Both can be recycled. just pop the cap. Pour the oil on you compost if you have one. Let the wax sit out in the sun for a couple of days. It will dry out the oil will degenerate and evaporate. Either throw the wax out or use it to make candles. My daughter had one that we neede to get rid of and this is what I did. I made tea light candles out of the wax and that was about 3 years ago. I made almost 50 tea lights out of it.

Etheylene glycol is not safe it can kill you 4 oz is enough to kill a full grown man... That's not veggie oil!

Lava Lamp
Uses for an Old Lava Lamp
Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 11, 2009
Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Teapot Lamp
Making a Teapot Lamp
Old Oil Lamp
Disposing of Lamp Oil Properly
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint