Uses for an Old Lava Lamp

Category Reusing
These colored liquid and wax lamps may be reused for other things. This guide is about uses for an old lava lamp.

How can I safely dispose of a lava lamp? There is a bottle cap on the top of the liquid, but I didn't know if I could pour out the liquid before throwing the rest of the lamp away or not? Thanks for all help.

By Chris legler

Answers

Anonymous

Although their formula is a secret, manufacturers of lava lamps claim they are non-toxic. They recommend that you wrap the lamp in newspaper and throw it in the trash. Do not pour the liquid down a drain or flush it down the toilet because it contains wax which can stop up a sewer.

http://planetgr  e-lava-lamp.html

Thank you, thank you. I was worried about the wax at the bottom, didn't want to just pour it out until I knew what the liquid was. I appreciate your help and time!

Don't throw it out. Give it to your local thrift shop, they are coming back into style.

All a lava lamp is, is veggie oil and wax. Both can be recycled. just pop the cap. Pour the oil on you compost if you have one. Let the wax sit out in the sun for a couple of days. It will dry out the oil will degenerate and evaporate.

Either throw the wax out or use it to make candles. My daughter had one that we neede to get rid of and this is what I did. I made tea light candles out of the wax and that was about 3 years ago. I made almost 50 tea lights out of it.

Anonymous

Etheylene glycol is not safe it can kill you 4 oz is enough to kill a full grown man... That's not veggie oil!

The light bulb in my lava lamp went out, and it got me thinking. Since the lamp is a couple of years old, and very dark colors of red and purple, I would like to empty it and use it as a clear light. Is that safe? I just read the answers on disposing of the liquids and wax by composting it or trashing it. I didn't think you should put oil into compost? Where else can I dump the oil?

By L.S.

Answers

most municipal dumping sites have a place where you can dump/return vehicle oil if you are worried about the safety of it. You can put it in a can and take it over there and see what they say.

My town has days you can dispose of paints and infer liquids that you cannot pour down the drain or put in the trash. Call your town.