Browsing: Dishwasher Leaves Soap Scum on Dishes

Dishwasher Leaves Soap Scum on Dishes

How do I stop getting soap scum on my plates, etc. after washing them in my auto washer?

By Joe

Put in some dishwasher salt in the container at the bottom of the washer.

Also check if the holes in the "propellers" are open. Remove and clean it well.

I had horrible scum on my dishes when I lived in an area that had hard water. I had to put vinegar in the rinse cycle. It worked fine. Eventually I had to have a water softener put in.

I've been surprized at the places a dishwasher can build up and harbor 'gunk' that keeps getting redistributed on the dishes. The rubber pieces on the inside front corners should be removed and washed thoroughly along with the area under them, also the bottom of the door. The whole water drain/food catch area should be taken apart, often needing to be unscrewed, and cleaned thoroughly too. Adding white vinegar to the wash cycle helps to keep this scummy stuff from building up. There are also dishwasher cleaners available in the stores.

The problem is that the auto diswasher detergent does not contain phosphates as it use to. When you take away the phosphates you get film on your dishes. You can buy Finish which is an additive and put in with your regular detergent and you will have clean dishes again.