My Dryer is Stealing Fresh Scent from Clothes!

I've never had this problem before. I have always used liquid fabric softener when washing my clothes, and they always smell so fresh and clean when I'm transferring the wet clothes from the washer to the dryer. But now, after the load is dry, the fresh smell has dissipated from the clothes. There is no smell whatsoever! What is happening? Now I feel like I'm wasting my money!

JO in TN

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Don't know what's happening. Dryer sheets are not the best alternative. To keep from static cling problem, crumple up aluminum foil into a small ball and put into dryer. No more static cling. Dryer sheets can also foul up your dryer and damage it.

Wish I could remember why. So I get an inexpensive fragrance I really like like lavender, put it on a small facecloth and throw it in with my clothes. Lovely smell. They sell bottles of this to spray on you pillowcase at night for aroma therapy.

My pillowcases and bedsheets are aromatherapy for me. Good luck.

Jo, why not stop using fabric softener just because of the expense? A half cup of white vinegar in the rinse will soften the clothes quite nicely. Altho there isn't a special fragrance, the clothes will smell clean.

I use vinegar frequently in the last (rinse) cycle of the washing machine and then put the clothes in the dryer and I never smell the vinegar again. Perhaps the product you use is made only to soften but not to smell after clothes are dry.

You need to take the filter out of the dryer and wash it. You would be surprised what has collected on it. Use a soft brush to wash it and rinse good. Let it dry before putting back in the dryer. This also will help on the air flow of the dryer.

They do make fabric softeners, or maybe it's those detergents with fabric softener in them, that smell really strong.Start sniffing boxes of detergent or softener, and the one that knocks your nose off is the one, if you like the scent. There's one that used to advertise long-lasting scent; I just don't remember which one.

Well, this is what I do, and it works. The two best liquid fabric softeners I have found are the Snuggle that has "Wash to Wash Freshness" on it, maybe 3 different scents, and Gain Original scent. I use a little extra than it calls for, then when I put them in the dryer, I only dry my clothes for about 10 minutes. Just long enough to get the wrinkles out, then I use a Rolling Garment Rack, and I hang dry them til dry. I always have people telling me how great my clothes smell.

Make sure you also give your dryer a good washing inside. I used water and bleach cause I had the same problem. seemed to help, I'll have to also clean the lint screen thoroghly too. Thanks for that tip Dgrams :)

I have taken my dryer to the repairman 3 times in two years because it seems that the lint passes throught the filter and into the tube that withdraws the water from the machine. This is a very expensive service charge. Does anyone know how to do it themselves????

thank you so much

We live in Montana, in the Rockies.(Have to travel 2 hours to the closest Wal-Mart). The ONE grocery store has the bare necessities. So I do not use softener anymore. But hanging the laundry on the line is the best smell in the world. They may be a bit stiff at first, but it doesn't last. If i want something really soft I drape it on the inside laundry stand. It also saves money. yum, fresh laundry.

Answer

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 21, 2005
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri, Dried Flowers in Container
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri
clothes dryer
Dryer Isn't Drying Clothes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 5:01:29 PM on 10.0.0.238 in 933 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.